Wow, stunning little town!

Villa de Leiva Travel Blog

The massive central Plaza

Despite the night out in San Gil, I somehow managed to get myself up ready to move on to Villa de Leyva.  I arranged to go with Abby (Colarado, US) who was also at Macondo.  We got a bus ($CP 20,000/GBP6) round 10.30am and after stopping for some much needed sustenence half way, we were well on our way towards Tunja.  The scenery was again stunning as we passed loads of cattle farms way up in the hills, which made up for another bumpy journey...Colombia could certainly do with investment in its roads!  We got to Tunja about 3pm and immediately noticed the chill in the air - its about 2500m and you can feel the difference as the wind cuts through you.  We weren´t staying long mind and changed for a little minibus to Villa de Leyva, our destination ($CP5,500).

Typical street
  An hour later and we were in the little town nestled in the hills.  We got a taxi up the hill to our hostel, Renacer, which is simply stunning - what a great little place!  You can´t help but feel relaxed here, so slow is the pace of life.

I was shattered from the night before, so didn´t see too much and just passed out in bed after some food! Sunday was a day for exploration, however, and this is a simply beautiful little town.  It has been completely preserved and has some remarkably well-kept buildings, houses and churches.  The main plaza (Plaza Mejor) is enormous, especially for a tiny little town like this, but the hoards of toursists from Bogota for the weekend made it look pretty busy.  It was a lovely sunny day and it really made it feel like a special little place.  We went hiking up the hills for an hour or so above our hostel and found some great views down on the town.  It was definitely worth the effort to come here and just what I needed to help me chill out for a few days before the mayhem that will probably be Bogota!

The beautiful Iglesia del Carmen
The beautiful Iglesia del Carmen
Nice view of the town in the backg…
Nice view of the town in the back…
Villa de Leiva Hostels review
Beautiful hostel in the hills!
Renacer is owned by the same guy (Oscar Giele) who owns the main Colombian Highlands guesthouse in the town centre. The Renacer is a converted villa/… read entire review
Villa de Leiva