What a palarva!

Cayenne Travel Blog

Place des Palmistes

Damien agreed to take me into the city (its actually a town really) so that I could go the Consulate of Suriname to get my visa sorted.  You have to get one in advance, which is annoying.  Even more annoying are the rules they have now put int place, meaning from 1st July 2009, they only visas to 20 people a day.  It opened at 9am and I was there at 8.30, yet already by then there were 40 people waiting, not helped by the fact that its now the school holidays.  So being near the back of the queue I had no chance, and all i could do was get the form to fill in ready.  Means I will have to come back on Monday and get here really early, such a complete pain in the arse.  Why do countries have such backward practices?? You would think they would want to encourage tourists to go there! I have no option but to go through Suriname really as I fly to Trindad from Guyana and there are no flights from Cayenne to Guyana - nightmare!

anyway, as I thought there was nothing more I could do, I decided to see the city (to be fair, there's not much to see, its a pretty unimpressive place, with only a few old colonial buildings of interest) before Damien returned to pick me up at lunchtime after he had worked in the morning.

He had sealed a big deal at work so he was happy and we went off to have lunch with some of his friends in Matoury which was cool.  We went to a 'Hmong' restaurant - there are the people from Laos who have settled in some parts of FG.

The afternoon was beach time - weather was great and the sea is soooo warm here its almost like getting in a bath!!  Anne-Claire, Marie and  went while Damien went back to work and we met up later to have some food and beers at the house....and listen to some strange French music and the local 'Zouk'!

Sentiles des Salines, near Remire
Sentiles des Salines, near Remire
Baby turtle, just hatched on Montj…
Baby turtle, just hatched on Mont…
View from the old fort