Weekend in the city...

Medellin Travel Blog

So it was all go for the weekend of fun and games in Medellin.  I'd heard a lot about the Zona Rosa and weekend parties that rock all night.  We started with a few drinks at the hostel (as is customary) and there was a fair group of us headin out on the town.  I got chatting to Andy (who I met in Cartagena), Dave (London) and Jon (Leicester) and as it was proving hard to get people to leave the hostel, we jumped in a taxi to head out.  We had a quick stop off so Andy could pop in and see his mate in hospital (who had a infection in his ankle after spraining it celebrating a Colombian goal at the Ecuador match last weekend!) before Andy directed us to Sabaneta, which apparently was the area the 'real' Colombians head to - it was fair way out of the city (about $CP10,000 in a taxi) and it was clear when we got there that this wasn't gringo territory.  A few strange stares and some wolf-whistling from a group of middle aged women welcomed us - hola gringo! We stayed around for a few drinks in a couple of bars (with some aguadiente to get us going - for those back home, its like Sambuca, but with a more rough alcohol taste), but realised it wasn't actually the most happening part of town.  So another taxi and we were back in the Zona Rosa at about 2am.  It was destined to be one of those nights that doesn't quite work out - we stuck around for a few more drinks, but we never seemed to find the real party place!

Saturday was a lazy day, watching footy and just strolling around.  Was planning to go out in the evening, but the crowd didn't seem up for it, so it turned into a quiet few beers at the hostel.  Going out is really the only worthwhile thing to do in Medellin (in my opinion) and I really can't see why people rave about it....but still, each to their own I suppose!  So I'm cutting short my stay by a day, and heading of into the country tomorrow!

photo by: caliphil007