Lima Travel Blog

I arrived in Lima after surviving nearly sweating myself to death on the overnight Z-Buss (S.45/£10/$15).  I had managed to get off to sleep in the extremely comfortable leather seats (yet another first) when I woke at about 2am in a bath of my own sweat.  The driver had for some reason decided to crank the heating up full blast - I could barely breathe!  I found the stewardess and she shouted to the driver to put the air-con on - even she couldn't believe how hot our cabin was!  I didn't get back to sleep though, and our journey went a lot quicker than I was expecting as we pulled into Lima at aboutt 4.45am - not a great time to be arriving!  I got a taxi into the centre (S.9) and made my way to The Flying Dog in Miraflores.  What a great little place, and proper hot, hot, hot showers!

I spent 4 days chilling out.  I knew after my trek that I wouldn't want to be doing too much, so I just went out for a quick wander round Miraflores and got my washing done etc.  Miraflores is a nice leafy suburb (similar to El Poblado in Medellin) and when I was walking round, I wondered why Lima gets such a bad reputation.  There's enough near by to keep you interested and staying in Miraflores, its safe and close to the sea.  What more do people want??!  There's even a Starbucks!  I met up with Kieran from Huaraz and we spent a morning in the downtown old city looking round.  That too was nice, some nicely restored buildings and churches and it didn't feel unsafe to me at all.  There were loads of police keeping an eye on things - they were so helpful, they even came over to us when we sat down in Plaza San Martin to see if we were alright and gave us a suggestion for lunch! We took their advice and went to Willys, which was a bargain little place where I had the best almuerzo yet, all for the princely sum of S.6 (£1.50/$2)! Nice soup, lomo saltado, juice and jelly for afters - awesome!

Jason had also arrived in town, although he was using his hotel points and stayed in the rather unbackpacker-ish Raddisson!  Alright for some.  We met up with him Saturday night for a few sherberts.  I suggested going down to Barranco as I'd heard it was pretty lively - there are plenty of bars down there aand it reminded me of being in Ayia Napa or somewhere as we were harrassed into bars everywhere along the main strip.  It was a shame there wasn't more variety in the music though, as all the bars were playing Reggaeton and Salsa...I've just had enough of it now!  We found a great little place to eat, which served typical Peruvians dishes (can't remember the name).  Fed, we had a few drinks on the strip and then decided to head back to Miraflores to finish the night.  This is where my memory becomes very hazy....I have certainly lost my drinking boots on this tour, and I was a little worse for wear by the end of the night...ummm, yeah, I don't even remember getting back to the hostel.  Good times!

yadilitta says:
so bad we couldn't meet, but I'm so happy you like my hometown!!!!
Posted on: Oct 27, 2009