Random locals

Clifton Travel Blog

I managed to get myself from Bequia to Union but not without a bit of a round-about trip.  The MV Barracuda has stopped coming to Bequia, so I had to catch the early Bequia Express back to St Vincent in time for the 11.30am trip from St Vincent down to Union Island.  It's the last island in the SVG chain, so on the way down we stopped at Mayreau and Canuoan.  After getting up at about 7am, I was finally on Union Island at about 5pm.  I had read my way all through the new book I'd bought on Bequia (another Minette Walters crime-thriller, Disorganised Mind) to pass the journey, so it was good to finally get to the main town Clifton.

I checked in at the Clifton Beach Hotel (which sounds a lot more glamorous than it was) and went out and tried to get myself on a boat tour for the Tobago Cays - but couldn't find anyone around! Guess I'll have to try again tomorrow.

-------

I was up early the day after and tried to find a place for breakfast.  As I was walking through the town, a local guy, Sylvester came up to me and started chatting away.  He was telling me (while sipping a beer at 8 in the morning!) how he lived in America for 19 years trying to make it in the music business...clearly unsuccesfully as he was plying his trade on the Bequia Express!  He had a few stories though, and kept me entertained! He also showed me where Lambis was and thnaks to him I got a great egg sandwich and coffee for EC$5!!  There were a few vagrants hanging around as well and one guy must've asked me for money about 5 times in a couple of hours, each time looking like he'd seen me for the first time!!  I walked down to the Anchorage Yacht Club and found someone who worked for Captain Yannis - luckily they were going out on a trip today, so I was able to get myself on it....

Clifton Hotels & Accommodations review
Does the job
The CBH is a decent hotel/guesthouse. The cost is a winner, its only EC$80/night for a room, which is as cheap as you'll find in SVG. It was low sea… read entire review
Clifton