Papillon!

Iles du Salut Travel Blog

As I had the weekend before I could get my visa on Monday, I decided to head out the Salvation Islands (Iles du Salut) just off the coast from Kourou.  Its easily done as a day trip (€46) by catamaran. Lucikly Elisa volunteered to take me to Kourou, about 60km from Cayenne, where the boats depart from...at 6.30 in the morning - what a star this girl is!!

The boat trip was cool, nice and relaxing.  I got chatting (in French!!) to a couple (Robin and Anne) who were living/studying in Cayenne - we walked round the islands together along with an English girl Nicki who I had seen in the queue for the visas yesterday.  The islands have great history as one of France's penal colonies - pretty destitute places where people like Alfred Dreyfrus and Papillion were sent for punishment for things like treason.

On the main island (Ile Royale) there was lots of wildlife roaming around - monkeys, peacocks, all quite tame as people were feeding them bananas in somee places (not great in my opinion).  Ile St Joseph, the 2nd island was smaller and we went over there in the afternoon after a swim, and there was a nice little beach where we chilled out for an hour or so.  Unfortunately I lost a contact lense swimming, so I was half blind for most of the afternoon - bloody annoying when you have eyesight like mine!!

Meeting Robin and Anne was a god-send aswell as they offered me a lift back to Cayenne (there's no public transport so you can't get a bus or anything)...it saved me from hitch-hiking which I was most grateful for!!  The sun's really strong and draining here, so it was just a flake out evening when I got back and I had to turn down Damien's offer to take me to some local party....I don't think it was that good as he came back after about an hour!!

TRAVEL INFO

I used a company called La Hulotte (www.lahulotte-fg.fr) who charged €46 for a day trip.  This included getting to and from the islands (about 2 hours each way) and coffee/drinks on board (no food is provided).  They were pretty good and the crew were friendly.

Anne and Robin