Mellowing out by the sea

Paraty Travel Blog

I arrived in Paraty at about 6pm and had been chatting to two aussie guys on the bus (6 hours from Sao Paulo) - Dixie and Adam - I had one of those funny deja-vu moments as I recognised Dixie from Millhouse in BA although hadn't spoken to him there.  We all decided to follow this German girl (Filia) from the bus as she was living in Paraty and knew a cheap B&B to stay at - it turned out to be good (I can't remember the name of it!) but it only cost R$20 per night each and we had just the four of us in one room.  It wasn't lively so Dixie suggested going to Geko Hostel tomorrow, which we did.

Paraty is a really lovely little town, chilled out, no hurry about it.  The old town has uneven cobbled streets which were a bit uncomfortable to walk on, but it was really beautiful.

The houses are generally white, but they then use one other colour for doors, window frames etc - pink, yellow, blue, green - each one individual, but gave a great feel to the place.  Dixie showed me this 'colour accent' feature on my camera which picked out one colour at a time and made the rest black and white - got some great pics!  The weather wasn't great the first day, so we decided to just stay in the town - I booked some flights, sorted my camera out etc.  Later on we walked up to the fort on the hill but the viewa weren't as good as I was hoping as there were too many trees to get a decent outlook.  Met some Kiwi guys at the hostel in the evening who were raving about Ilha Grande, so looking forward to heading off there tomorrow afternoon!

Dixie throwing some shapes!
Dixie throwing some shapes!
View from the fort look out
View from the fort look out
A nice little spot on Sepeca Island
A nice little spot on Sepeca Island
Paraty Hostels review
Average hostel
Geko is an ok place to stay - the dorm rooms are pretty cramped and we found it difficult to find places to put stuff as our room was full. The sheet… read entire review
Paraty