How far would you hike for a nice beach??

Ilha Grande Travel Blog

What a lovely little place this is....from the hustle and bustle of Sao Paulo, this is perfect for kicking back and chill out. Got the ferry over from Angra Dois Reis with Dixie and Adam.  During the week the island is pretty quiet so we had good choice of accomodation - luckily we timed to right....we had no idea, but there was some gigantic music festival on at the weekend and all the accomodation was booked out - Carlos the guy at Pousada Alfa where we stayed said he was charging R$200 a night over the weekend - bloody hell!!

We only really had one full day on Ilha Grande, but it was great to chill out...although we decided to put ourselves through tha pain barrier with a 14 kilometre round trip hike to get to some quieter beaches.

Abraoozinho beach
....christ, I realised how bloody unfit I am - I wasn't that fit at home, but I'm worse now after a few weeks of steaks and  beer!!  Struggled up and down these bloody huge hills - Dixie was setting the pace upfront - him and Adam are gym freaks so I was a little behind them!! But even they were sweating! It was worth it as Palmas beach was lovely, hardly anyone there either.  We also went a bit further to Lopes Mendes but it wasn't really worth it, Palmas was nicer....goddam Lonely Planet, sends you to some odd places sometimes!!  The evenings were pretty quiet as I think everyone was saving themselves for the weekend - us included! So we played  some pool on a table with ridiculously small pockets - our games were lasting about 20 minutes because it was so difficult!!

The ferry from Angra Dois Reis to Inha Grande costs R$6.50 (£2) each way.  There's only one crossing a day to choose from(!) at 3.30pm.  Gets you in at about 5pm.  To get the bus to Rio from Angre is really expensive (R$28, £9) for a two-hour ride.

Palmas beach - Dixie and Adam
Palmas beach - Dixie and Adam
Deserted Palmas beach - the best i…
Deserted Palmas beach - the best …
Ilha Grande Hostels review
Cheap private rooms (out of season)
It was a decent place to stay for location and cost - we got a good deal - private rooms for R$30/night which had air-con and hot shower. Internet wa… read entire review
Ilha Grande