this Germany?!

Puerto Varas Travel Blog

Lakeside views in Puerto Varas

The helpful Pato took me to the airport (CLP6,000/£8) for my 9.45am flight with Sky Airlines (CLP48,000/£70/$100) from Punta Arenas to Puerto Montt.  We had a touchdown in Balmaceda about half way, but we arrived on time to Puerto Montt at about 12.30pm.  I had originally planned to stay in Puerto Montt, but Pato advised me not to bother as there isn't much to see and that nearby Puerto Varas is much nicer.  Unfortunately the direct transfer to Varas was pretty expensive (CLP10,000/£13/$20) so I took the local bus into Puerto Montt from the airport (CLP1,700/£2.25/$3.50) which took about 20 minutes and then hopped straight on a micro to Puerto Varas (CLP700/£1/$1.50) which took another half hour.  I hadn't booked anywhere in advance as I didn't know exactly where I was going to go, but luckily I was able to find a great little hostel in the town centre for CLP9,000 (£12/$18).  The very friendly Alfonso helped point out where I needed to go in the town and went for a quick look round.  Puerto Varas had a lot of immigration from Germany in the 1800s and it definitely shows in the architecture and even language.  It felt like I could've been somewhere near the Black Forest!  Nice little wooden lodges and bars serving Warsteiner beer.  The weather changed pretty quick and soon it was raining and a bit chilly, so I camped out in the hostel for the evening, in front of a roaring fire - perfect!

Puerto Varas