Disappointing

Pasto Travel Blog

Main plaza, Pasto

After checking in at Koala Inn and despite being pretty damn tired, I decided to stick to my plan of going to see the Laguna de la Cocha, which is about 25km from Pasto.  I got the collectivo from their main office (ask at the hostel), although I had to wait around for the car to fill up with people which was a bit annoying (CP$4,000 each way).  Eventually we left, and then waited again at the hospital stop, so it was about 11am before we actually got on the road.  The road is bloody bumpy and our car had no suspension to speak of, so it was bone-shaking journey and I was pleased to get out half an hour later.

There was a village at the edge of the lake with umpteen restaurants and cafes and men trying to sell boat trips out the little island in the lake - I guess it must be low season as I only saw 4 other tourists and there was no way these 50-odd places could survive if this was the trade they got!  You have to hire the boats as a whole, and being on my own it was too expensive (CP$25,000/£8/US$12) to justify it given that it was an overcast day.

Village, Laguna de la Cocha
  I walked down to the shore, but couldn't really see much as there are thick reads everywhere.  So when it started raining about half an hour after I got there, I really couldn't be arsed to stay any longer and called it a day and left to go back to Pasto, slightly disappointed.

Pasto itself is pretty uneventful, and really is a place just to break up a journey.  The best thing I could say is about the Koala Inn, which is a nice friendly place to stay!

Village, Laguna de la Cocha
The best view I could get of the l…
The best view I could get of the …
Pasto Hostels review
Friendly old fashioned place!
I liked the Koala Inn. There were only a few of us staying there, so it was nice and quiet! The staff were really friendly and helpful, they do laun… read entire review
Pasto