Cheap and cramped

Maracaibo Travel Blog

After the debacle with the Catatumbo trip, I had to rearrange my bus ticket - unfortunately I couldn't go with the original company I booked with (Expressos Merida) as their service to Maracaibo on Sunday at 9pm was full.  The only left was the co-operativo company, which was only asking BsF50 for the 9 hour journey.  Once I finally boarded at 9.45pm, I could see why it was cheaper - the seats were ultra economy! I've never had such little leg room on a supposedly 'executive' bus before - I could barely get my legs in, and when the rude Venezuelano in front me reclined my seat, I thought circulation to my legs would actually stop.  I tutted and cursed like a true Brit, unable to properly get across my displeasure at his unthoughtfulness.  It meant a bloody uncomfortable 9 hours to Maracaibo, and the minute I did finally get off to sleep, we stop at 2.30am for a food stop - i mean, who needs to eat at 2.30 in the morning on an overnight bus journey - flaming ridiculous!!  Boy was I glad to get off that bus - I've had a few bad journeys in the last few weeks, and knowing I've still got a whole lot ahead of me isn't filling me with much happiness - it can only get better??!
Maracaibo