Buffalo anyone??

Salvaterra Travel Blog

They love making you get up early to go places here - another ridiculously early start - my ferry for Ilha Marajo was at 6.30am, so I had to leave the hostel by 6 (and missed out on breakfast...grrrr!), but a Brazilian coffee onboard soon woke me up (they love it strong!!).  The hostel in Belem didn't have a book exchange so I had nothing to read (except the Lonely Liar (Lonely Planet to most people)), which was getting a little tedious.  The three hours to get to I.M. passed pretty slowly, but once there there was a cramped little minibus to go to the next main town - Salvaterra.  Town is probably an exageration really, it is a village to you and me.  Nice little place and I stayed at the pousadai recommended by the book - Pousada Bousque dos Aruas - had my own private room which was a nice change!  And air-con!!  They have wooden cabins rather than rooms, but it makes for a tranquil experience right by the sea (well actually its not the sea, its the Amazon river, but it looks for the world like the sea).

There wasn't much to do other than chill out and kick back with a good book and some time on the beach.  Not many travellers here, think this is a quite a bit off the beaten path! Still it was good to chill out for a couple of days - after negotiating my way past the buffalo in the street (they have them instead of cows here for some bizarre reason) I managed to track down the minibus which went to Joanes, another village back towards the main ferry port.  Was similar and just had more time to myself on the beach, although we had a powercut there so in the evening I had nothing to see or do...I just about managed to start reading Black Hawk Down by candlelight - not good for my eyes!!

So after a couple of days of chilling out, I was happy to getting back to the mainland and onwards to French Guyana!

Salvaterra Hostels review
Beach views!!
This is the pousada which is in the S/A Lonely Planet - its a good choice, although the people do not speak as much English as the book makes out! It… read entire review
Salvaterra