Beautiful, old Cuzco

Cusco Travel Blog

Luckily my friend Katie arrived at Lima airport without too much of a hitch, and I met in the check-in area as we were booked on the same TACA flight to Cuzco.  It was great to see a familiar face from home and we immediately set about catching up on the gossip and news from home.  It was a good flight and within an hour we were down in Cuzco.  The approach was pretty spectacular as the plane came into the valley and almost looked like it was heading straight for a mountain before it banked round to touchdown.  Katie was busy taking photos out the window all the way - I am sure she will be going for a new record of photo-taking in the 2 weeks she is here!

We had pre-booked in at Loki hostel and got a cab there for S.

Plaza de Armas
12 (£3/$4).  The hostel is in a beautiful 450 year-old building and on first impressions I have to say its one of the best I've stayed in.  We chucked our bags down and decided to head to the bar for a bit of lunch and then wandered down into town to have a look round.  What had started as a nice day turned pretty grotty and by mid-afternoon we were taking shelter in a cafe overlooking Plaza de Armas as the thunder and lightning started - it felt more like a winter's day in England than being in South America!  Still, we needed to take it easy as Katie was struggling with the jet lag and altitude, so it was no bad thing.  We chilled out in the evening with a beer and chatted to James, Jackie, Claire, Abby and Stan.  After a decent sleep that night, Katie was feeling better and we went and booked ourselves on the Inca Jungle Trail - we ended up paying S.450 ($160/£100) for 4 nights/3 days, which isn't too bad.  Rest of day was a bit more sightseeing as the weather was great (finally, some sun!) - we had a look round Qorikancha (entrance S.10), which had some ruins and an old convent with some restored artwork - our bit of culture for the day!

Qorikancha
Qorikancha
Cusco Hostels review
Fantastic place to stay
I pre-booked Loki, having looked on their website - I wasn't disappointed when I arrived. The staff at check-in were ultra friendly and did a proper … read entire review
Cusco