Lares Trek - Peru - Day 2

Lares Travel Blog

Was a bit of a rough night trying to sleep last night. Our tent is slight on a hill and I found myself at times sliding the tent as I woke up crunched up near the door way of the tent. As well it was very cold last night, probably around -10C as there was frost on our tent this morning.

Early in the morning we were woken up by our guide Marco and one of the Porters. He brought us coca-tea and a tub of warm water to wash ourselves. Then breakfast was served. Normally I don't eat a lot in the morning, but I was given bread, omelet and fruit accompanied by even more coca-tea, so I felt quite stuffed. We were totally amazed by what we were served for breakfast.

The weather today looks good and going to be a sunny day for the most part, hopefully.

As soon as we finished our breakfast we left the campsite and began climbing.

at the 4400 metres on the trek
The climb took us through various villages where the children came running to the road asking for bread. As the guide had warned me about this during the briefing in Cusco, luckily we had brought some bread with us to give to their little hands.

As soon as we finished our breakfast we left the campsite and began climbing. The climb took us through various villages where the children came running to the road asking for sweeties. As the guide had warned me about this during the briefing in Cusco, luckily I had brought some candy with me which was nearly pulled out of our hands.
fter a pretty hard walk we had climbed 550 meters and were at the highest point of the trek at 4350 meters altitude. Because it had been bad weather here last night there was still some snow.
Until then the weather had been sunny and warm, but as soon as we passed the highest point there were only clouds and it began to rain and we even had some hail. Then at the top elevation it was almost a blizzard types of winds, but very adventurous and good way to remember.

From there we made our descent down the area to our lunch stop, by this time we were all very wet and very cold. Below us we could see a lagoon and near that lagoon we had our lunch. Luckily we could have it in the tent that the cook used for cooking, otherwise we would have gotten very wet and cold. The tent was set up for us and it was very windy, for lunch we had hot tea, and some good hot foot, during lunch Ryan who was in our group decided to change his pants at the table to which he tripped on his pants and almost fell over onto the porters on other side of the tent.
It was quite funny.

The rest of the afternoon we descended even more to an altitude of 3700 meters coming across lots of alpacas and childeren until we got to our second camping site. As good as I was at climbing (I was almost always the first to get to the next rest point), I found the descent very hard as it was lots of loose rock, I found going up hill was much easier for me but  I was happy we had reached our endpoint for the day.

Our campside just through some forest and had to hop over a small stream to get to it.  Once again for snack we had popcorn, tea and hot nesquick. With dinner being some good food, and meat and rice with pudding for dessert.

To which Marco, our guide told us many stories about his life as a guide, then we were all off to bed for the night.

View more information at my travel blog "Exciting World Travel" at www.excitingworldtravels.com

great food