Shenandoah National Park

Shenandoah National Park Travel Blog

On Saturday we drove from DC to Front Royal, Virginia.  Front Royal is the gateway town at the northern entrance of the park.  We were able to get one of only three remaining hotel rooms before we went hiking.  The first hike of the day was from Compton Gap to Compton Peak.  Most of the weekend was in the 80's, but most of the trails were tree shaded and there was often a nice breeze.  It was still humid enough and steep enough in sections to break a sweat, but it could have been a lot worse.  We never got a drop of rain and the sky was clear the whole time.  Shenandoah can often be foggy or hazy, so we were lucky to be able to see clearly at overlooks.  Compton Peak has overlooks in both direction, but somehow we were unable to find the eastern overlook.  We ate lunch at the western overlook.  We then headed back to the northern visitor's center and hiked Fox Hollow trail.

The next day we hiked to Lands Run Falls and back.  Then we hiked a portion of the Dickey Ridge trail from the Lands Run Falls parking lot up to Indian Springs and back.  It felt a bit warmer and more humid than the previous day, so we just drove down Skyline Drive a bit before heading back home.

ms_travelr says:
I'm jealous. I've never been to Shenandoah but it looks like a very nice place to do some hiking....I'm jealous (eh...I already mentioned that didn't I ?) ;-)
Posted on: May 29, 2009