Why The Little Village Doesn't Suck.

Linschoten Travel Blog

November 2008

A few weeks ago I visited my old hometownie Linschoten again; I had to go to the doctor. I saw a sign along the road, with the promising text: "Kermis [fair] in Winschoten!". uhh...Where? As far as I could remember, Winschoten was a town in Groningen, like 200 km. to the north. Were those fair-people lost perhaps?

On the other hand, I coud not blame them. Linschoten is a tiny, tiny dot on the Dutch map, and when you start talking about it people haven't got a clue where to put it on a map. Or, like those fair-people they take a shot and place it somewhere near the Artic circle. The village has around 5000 inhabitants, and most of the time it is... really... quiet. Once a year, on the saturday before Christmas we have this huge marathon, all through the polders.

November 2008
That's the only thing we're famous for, and runners come from everywhere. even though the weather sucks, always.

But there's more, so much more. Some people may say that life here is like on a graveyard, with no soul around. But I liked that.  The old town is very photogenic, wheter it is summer or winter, and when you don't like the old town scenery you're in the country within less than two minutes. The highway is like five minutes away, by bike. You can see it, sometimes you ca hear it, but you can also pretend that it's not even there. The centre of the village is paved with bumpy pave-stones so that rollerskating up and down the bridge can be a challange, and a nice massage when you're going really fast, but face it, you have fun ;).

So it may be a little quiet, but after a few weeks The Hague it was a relief to come back again, for some mail. I missed the birds, and the fact that in the middle of the country it's just a little warmer than near the sea. It wass a trusted view, to see the church, the canal and the crazy ducks again. It may be like there's no-one around, but I like it just the way it is.

January 2009
January 2009
My seccond house. The czech flag i…
My seccond house. The czech flag …