On traveling: beyond the fields we know

World Travel Blog

Leaving on a jet plane

On traveling: beyond the fields we know.

Many people wish to travel to other planets, or travel back in time. Traveling over the world is the closest thing you can get to these wishes. But traveling over the world is not a substitute for impossible dreams. It’s the real world you’re traveling in. The one you heard about in school and get to see short flashes of on television. It’s your world, and the more you travel the more you’ll notice you are not as familiar with it as you might have thought.

Whenever I set foot in a new country for the first time, I feel a twinkle of excitement, as if I have enriched my body and soul already just by standing on another country’s soil.

Cairo, Egypt
It’s absurd, surely, but there is no harm in making something insignificant into something important. It makes for passionate living. And when I leave a country, I feel I have shared its soul for a brief moment, and taken it home with me, contained within me. A spot on the map that used to be without meaning has become something familiar and its future will be something I will care about.

To get to know a country. It is a fantasy, I know it. How much can you truly get to know a place by staying a few days? Or get to know a country by visiting a few places? Yet a few glimpses can already give you that feeling. Visiting the same cafe a few times. Getting familiar with the road map of a city, or the names of its metro stations, as if you haved lived there for years. As if you are living a different life, even. The world is a mirror that twists your life and puts it in a global perspective.

Hm, I’m getting philosophical here.

Lisbon, Portugal
Traveling makes me wonder: what is happiness? Or being rich or poor? Or what is beauty? But traveling is also about having fun. You can do it on your own and get fully immersed and meet many people, or with friends and you’ll have people to share your experiences with. They will be a connection to your past later on.

Is it a hobby? I think not. I can do many of my hobbies while traveling. It is rather another mode of being. Is it freedom? Yes, up to a point. It is freedom from that other mode of being which we call normal life. But stay in another place long enough and it will become normal as well. Perhaps only at that point can one make a fitting comparison between one place and the other. At that point your past may kick in, and the fields you know may not be so lacking after all.

sylviandavid says:
Very nice blog..... and "amen". Sylvia
Posted on: Mar 12, 2010
anne819 says:
My sentiments put into words. :)
Posted on: Mar 12, 2010
globe-hippie says:
I totally agree with every your world. Cheers, free spirit!
Posted on: Oct 25, 2009