First Time in Kuala Lumpur and off to Kajang!

Kajang Travel Blog

Introduction
After being woken up my the blinding lights on the plane, we finally landed at KLIA where I was able to get out and stretch my legs and feel the humid kiss of the Malaysian air. Actually we were still in the airport at this stage, but it was still more humid than the plane nonetheless. Since I didn't eat my airplane curry for breakfast, I dragged Felicia through to a recognisable favourite (McDonalds) and had some food there. I was a bit shy about potential language difficulties or trying to speak my horribly pronounced Chinese, so I made Felicia go up and order something for me instead. It might not be shocking to anybody else, but there was rice and other stereotypical Asian dishes on the menu at McDonalds, and the food was so cheap!

An emotional reunion for Felicia and her family at the airport then ensued as we were picked up, and then a long drive back to their house in surburbian KL. Even at this early hour of the morning (about 6am?) there were hawkers on corners of every main road selling their wares, hamburger stands, satay stands, and of course a plethora of bikes and cars teaming through the streets.

Hawkers Breakfast
After dropping our bags at her house (it's sure handy to have a house to stay in rather than pay for a hotel, I highly recommend it!), we drove out to a local hawkers food court and had some breakfast. I was re-introduced to my favourite kaya toast (which I'd had just once before in Singapore Airport back in 2007), and also the apparently famous bakuteh, which is like a pork soup type of dish. The area I was in was called Kajang, and it is essentially a no-go tourist zone. Not because it's dangerous or anything like that, just the fact that there's nothing touristy there to see or do, and it's a bit out of the way down south of the city. Because of this, when I walked into the hawkers food court, all eyes turned to me, the big, white gweilo (a foreigner) walking through a sea of Chinese. It was like they had never seen the likes of me before, and in this particular area, maybe they hadn't. Travel-wise, this is perfect for those who want to experience the real Kuala Lumpur and not just the tourist oriented city centre. These were real people going about their lives having their daily breakfast and playing mahjong over their kaya toast. Sure I might have gotten a few stares in the beginning, but a few smiles back in their direction soon had most of them smiling all around. That was one thing I really enjoyed about it was how friendly all the locals could be.

Summary
To summarise for those who don't want to read my ramblings:
- Kajang is a slightly out of the way place where you won't find many western tourists. I should have clarified earlier that it is famous in Malaysia and Singapore for its satay (which is delicious), but not really anywhere else. A perfect spot for some local networking and general view of Malaysian life.
- Visiting a Hawkers food court is also a great way to make new friends, or simply be the centre of attention while you wolf down some delicious kaya toast.
Kajang