Tale of Two Days - Sick as a dog and I’m a little dirty

Tbilisi Travel Blog

Statues line Rustaveli Ave

I woke up with a headache, feeling feverish, achy all over, and my body emptying itself of fluids as fast as it could.  I was not going ANYWHERE!!  This meant that Rob was on his own for the day.  So the remainder of this blog has the special guest writer my husband Rob.

Rob’s Day

With Brian being sick I had to figure out how to get him drugs to help relieve the symptoms.  I went down and asked the girl that could kind of speak English for help.  She wrote down the names of a couple of drugs so I could go to the pharmacy.  Paper in hand I headed out and found a drug store.

Someone rearranged me
  I gave the woman the paper and she gave me pills.  Since there was only one type of pill I was not sure I had everything Brian needed.  Using the old pantomime technique of coughing and showing a headache I got another set of pills.  Those in hand I headed back to Brian.  I gave him his medicine and made sure he had everything he needed so I could head out.

Since Brian was ill and I was just churched out, I decided not to head to Mtskheta.  Instead I had a couple of errands to run then wanted to see a couple of museums.  First on the list was the post office.  I consulted the Lonely Plant guide and was off with all 21 post cards in hand.  I walked all the way down Rustaveli Ave to the Rose Revolution Square where it said the post office was located.

I think the post office moved
  It was closed for renovation, sort of.  There were signs for another location on Rustaveli.

I was back on the street backtracking, which was no big deal since I had to go back that way anyway.  I found the address with a piece of printer paper which was the sign tacked up on the entrance of an alley.  Looking down the alley I was thinking this must be a mistake, there is no way.  I am going walk down this and end up in the Georgian version of Hostel.  In the end the Post office was there and far from what I expected.  The lady was shocked at the number of stamps I wanted.  When she told me the price was 5 GEL each I understood the shock, this about 2.22 Euros or 3.03 USD just to mail a postcard to the USA.

Clowning around
  Since they were all fill and addressed, I handed over the 105 GEL and started licking stamps.  I was able to get a different set for the 2 postcards I was mailing my parents.  My Dad collects them and so I wanted to increase the variety.  It took 7 stamps on the second postcard.  I just covered up some of the note.  That done, next I had to find transportation to Yerevan the next day.  With Brian sick the marshutka and a sick hour ride over bumpy road didn’t seem smart.  I began looking for a travel agency and found one that quoted me a reasonable price with two choices of time.  I wanted to check with Brian before I committed.

With the information in hand I head to the Fine Art Museum.

Zen moment
  I went through the guided tour of the treasury.  The little old lady doing the tour was very good and very proud of her heritage.  She was also very vocal about the horrible impact Russia had on the Georgian culture and history.  In the treasury there were some very old and detailed icons.  She pointed out the pure Georgian versions of St George had him slaying a man who represented the Roman Emperor Diocletian’s.  Diocletian was the one who ordered the torture and murder of St George, so the icon is George striking first.  In the 15th century Georgian artisans began to create the European influenced version with the multi-colored dragon.  Georgian excelled at craftsmanship because they had an abundance of materials available from wood to stone to metal mined there.  Georgia also was the producer of the finest silk in the world.
There's the sign for the post office!!
  They not only exported the raw silk, but also the silk worms.  Once Russia occupied them the entire industry was destroyed.  There are no longer any worms left in the country.

After the treasury it was about lunch time so I headed back to check on Brian.  He was still feeling pretty bad but was hungry.  I went to a grocery store and found some canned veggies for him.  The girl at the hotel heated them up and I took them to him.  At this point he had watched almost the entire first season of “One Day at a Time”.  With Brian fed and as comfortable as I could make him I headed back out.  The first thing was to buy the tickets for Yerevan.

Are you sure the post office is in there?
  It took forever but we managed to get all the information required speaking different languages.  She actually had to write out the tickets by hand.

Tickets safely acquired, I went back to the Fine Arts Museum.  They had a special exhibit of a Georgian artist, Niko Pirosmani.  He was largely unrecognized during his lifetime, but has since become world famous.  He has a very folksy style that captures the essence of Georgian life.  I enjoyed the exhibit, but will be rushing to find more of his works.  There was also an Oriental exhibit that was a tightly packed grouping of different pieces that included ivory, paintings, fabrics, and rugs (some of the Iranian ones were wonderful).  Overall it was interesting, but very few things were labeled and there was no real flow.  While the museum is worth a visit if you have time only the treasury is a must see.

How much postage do I need?!?!

The museum done, it was back to check on Brian again and drop off the camera.  I was going to head to the Sulfur baths and didn’t want to take it.  Brian was feeling up to taking a shower so I was encouraged.  I headed out and made stop at the Tbilisi History museum.  It has collection of artifacts unearthed around the city, old pictures, and some recreated Georgian rooms.  It is a good way to kill a little time.  There was a special exhibition of photos that was excellent.  From here I decided I need a snack before the bath.  I stopped a café and had fabulous piece of chocolate cake and a pot of tea while I finished reading Dracula.

Now it was on to the main event of the day, a hot bath.

People enjoying a day in the park
  I chose the Royal Baths because where better for royalty to go.  The lady took me to a private room quoted me 50 Gel for 1 hour.  I asked about the scrub and she said it was 10 GEL more.  I managed to negotiate here down to 50 for the hour and the 15 minute scrub.  She left and I stripped down and hopped in the tub.  Man it was HOT and has some sort of algae looking stuff floating around.  I figured it was so hot that it would kill anything bad.  I sat there for a few minute roasting.  I decided to move to the sauna for a few minutes.  Turns out this is where you cool off because it didn’t seem warm at all, so it was back to the bath, still really hot.

About this time there was a knock on the outer door.  Then a couple of minutes late a naked fat man came in with a bucket.  He looked like he has swallowed a huge beach ball and it was lodged in his gut.  He put on some boxes and started to rinse off a tiled table in the room.  Once he was ready he indicated I should lie on the table face down.  He began to do a rough scrub with an abrasive cloth.  It wasn’t too bad.  Back side done, it was time to flip over and then sit up.  After the scribing he dumped a few buckets of water over my head to rinse me off.  Back to the beginning position and soap was added to the equation to lubricate a now more abrasive scrubber.  With the soap in pay he was a little more vigorous and hit some new spots.  Once the whole thing was repeated he washed my hair and dumped a couple of extra buckets over my head.  Nice scrubbed and exfoliated it was back in the HOT tub of sulfur water.  It seemed to be getting hotter.  I got out and took a warm shower to cool down some.

I went out in the lounge and determined there were no towels, should have brought one I guess.  Luckily the furniture was pleather so I could just drip dry.  I swear between the heat and sulfur fumes I was in a lethargic state.  My brain was numb!!!  All I could do was sit there and stare at the ceiling.  After a while I came back to earth and was pretty relaxed.  I don’t see how these old men can do this for a couple of hours a day.  By the time the hour was up I was dry enough to get dressed.  I really enjoyed the experience and will definitely do it again.

Now it was back to the room.  I picked up a couple of bottles of a semi-sweet white wine for us to take home on the way.  Brian was up and downstairs using the computer when I got back.  He wanted dinner so I went to restaurant close to the hotel where we had eaten before.  Luckily they did takeout.  We had a really nice dinner and then went upstairs and packed for an early start.  The taxi would be there at 5:30 in the morning.  With everything in order we called it a night. Oh....Brian did finish the first season of " One day at at time:. Tomorrow is a new country and new time zone.

Brian's final thought for the day: God let the people of Armenia take us in as refugees from Georgia!

sylviandavid says:
delightful to read.....
Posted on: Sep 03, 2011
Zen moment
Theres the sign for the post offi…
There's the sign for the post off…
Are you sure the post office is in…
Are you sure the post office is i…
Tbilisi