What A Great City!

Amsterdam Travel Blog

So my first full day in Amsterdam was amazing!  I got up this morning and went for a little walk around the neighbourhood that I am staying in.  The arcitecture is just amazing in every building you see - there are no 2 the same!

I decided to take the New Europe free tour (like the one I did in Paris) to get some more info on the city.  This one was shorter (only 2 1/2 hours) and it just amazed me how close everything is.  Unlike Paris where all the 'touristy' locations are spread out across the city, here everything is within a 20 minute walk of anywhere...AMAZING!

I also booked the next leg of my european journey:

-Leaving Amsterdam on Monday at 10:15am for Eindhover (2 hours away)
-Fly from Eindhoven to Rome (2 hour flight), and I arrive in Rome at 4:30pm.

I plan to stay in Rome until Friday (June 12) and then I have a flight booked to Barcelona that night so I arrive at 9:45pm Friday.  I am hoping to stay in Barcelona for a week (until around the 17th) then do a few days in Madrid then hop a cheap flight to Dublin to hang with Kat Saturday, Sunday & Monday.  Tuesday morning how back to London and kill 2 days before heading home on Thursday (June 25).

Check out the pics from today!

N
Well, even after hearing all the stories about Amsterdam and the 'coffee shops' and the infamous red light district nothing can prepare you for experiencing it first hand!  After getting settled in yesterday afternoon I spent the early evening just walking the streets (got lost into the 'slums' in the south of the city) and getting oriented with how the layout works.

I didn't get much sleep the night before so I headed back to my hotel to grab a few hours sheep before heading out to check out the nightlife.  I headed down to The District around 10pm and the place was PACKED!  Thousands of tourists and HUNDREDS of girls in the windows on either side of the river.  Every side street you went down were more windows and more girls.  All were asking €50 for 20 minutes of their time...

I met up with some cool people and tied one on at a little Irish pub in the district...didn't get back to the hotel until 345am this morning (YIKES!).

Today I am off to check out the historical side of the city...

N