Don't rock the boat baby

IJmuiden Travel Blog

Waiting outside

On our second trip to Scotland, my wife, son and daughter and my mother in law would come. with 5 persons, even a cheap airplane is getting expensive. That is why we decided to take the boat. I had booked 2 outside cabins the dinner and breakfast on board to be included.

The ferry sails between IJmuiden (they call that Amsterdam, but that is an eufemism) and Newcastle.  It brings you far north in one night, you will appreciate your night sleep and your holiday starts a day early. ( I don't like to hurry things. My holidays start when I start my car to leave)  From Newcastle to Dailly is another 150 Miles (3.5H) drive. Arrival at the Brunston Castle Holiday Resort will be in the afternoon.

DFDS is Denmark based.

We arrived early in IJmuiden. Had to wait for check in; this is on a public part of the road. First come does not always mean first go. After checking in, we got inside the DFDS parking. There we had to wait again, very long hours. [I will be writing an entry to compare the ferry services to UK, not to spoil it, I found out P&O Rotterdam proves embarking without delays]

On the boat, you must take your toothbrush with you. You are not allowed in your car after leaving. TIP: make a bag for every person with shampoo, undies, nighty and toothbrush. Don't forget your vitamin pills :)

When you are on the boat for the first time, you want to explore. That is good, but after a while you hear the voice-over tell you to book your dinner in the restaurant.

Waiting inside
By the time you find the restaurant, you can only eat on the second or third shift, very late for us Dutchies, and interfearing with movie theatre timing. TIP: Once inside, FIRST go to the restaurant and book your shift, then explore: you will have enough time left:)

In the restaurant we were assigned  to a table, our drinks were brought (not included:) You will have to get your food yourself: the Buffet is large, so much choice from an abundance of tasty foods. I thought it would be better to take my 4 slices of bread with peanutbutter, ahhh. Save some room for the icecream!

My car key slipped from my pocket. The waiter put a note under the door he had found it and returned it the next morning. We had a polish crew, all good guys and dolls. (service was good from all personnel)

The cabins are not big: a compact bathroom and 4 beds.

Open Bow
Air conditioning/air refreshing in the middle of the room makes a lot of noise, but when you sleep you won't hear it. Bad sleepers could use ear plugs. Outside cabins have windows:) instead of your wakeup call (6:30 local time) you will wake up with daylight:)

Breakfast is in the same restaurant as dinner, this time it is 'go as you please'. Everything you think could be breakfast and more is on the buffet. You have more than enough time to fresh-up dress and eat before the boat is in  the harbour.

Much to early we are called to our vehicles, and we have to wait again.

Once released  from the boat, the car navigater has no fix and it takes long:) until it knows were we are. Then we are on our way, on the left side of the road.

They are loading, but not cars
This is not a problem, go with the flow! After 10 minutes you won't be afraid, after half an hour you will be overtaking other slower cars.

The roads are good, but all those roundabouts. Tons of CO2 could be saved replacing them with real crossings increasing throughput and speed.

Our early breakfast makes us yearn for lunch. We stop at a mr. Dinner. Ee never stop near one of those again! Grease with food. Only with enough Tagamet/Ranitinine/Antiacid (thank you Africancrab) is a stop possible with non-lasting effects.

Especially the last 30 miles are beautiful. The road narrows to two lanes, and we see sheep outside their fences, on one occasion a calf. No speeding on these roads.

The navigater shows us the path to take: a one lane, no passing. After crossing the cattle grid sheep are on the road, but they are very shy: no patting.

Then we recognise the village. I drop my wife for groceries and drive up to our bungalow.

We have arrived, the hollidays can continue!

Hungry!
We are lucky: we are inside
We are lucky: we are inside
Packed as sardines
Packed as sardines
Huib upstairs, my wife and her mot…
Huib upstairs, my wife and her mo…
Cabin door and way out
Night falls
Night falls
front outside cabin
front outside cabin
No curtains. I could not find them!
No curtains. I could not find them!
in the bar
in the bar
Steel furnaces in IJmuiden (Velsen)
Steel furnaces in IJmuiden (Velsen)
Thunderbirds are go. Well, not so …
Thunderbirds are go. Well, not so…
695 km (432 miles) traveled