Part 5, Cyprus

Larnaca Travel Blog

Last stop on my summer islands trip Cyprus invites me with temperature over 30 degrees... which is bit too much for me.
Perhaps I came in the wrong time - I've heard that Cyprus is beautiful in the spring, but around this time, there is almost nothing green, everything is burnt from the sun and smells bad :(
After 4 beautiful islands, this is a bit of disappointment. Places are crowded with beach tourists, everything is overpriced.
I am taking a trip to capital city Nicosia and I hope I can visit Turkish half of the city as well. And it is easier than I thought, with EU passport you just need to fill a small form and there you go. Turkish Cyprus is less developed than Greek, but it has it's charm. Actually, I liked it much more than Greek part. You don't see so many modern buildings, not so many fancy cars, but people seem to be happier, food is excellent and everything is cheaper.
The mix of European and oriental makes a special atmosphere. You can feel spicy smells, not the garbage smell. The visit of Turkish Nicosia was very refreshing!
At the end I am visiting interesting coin museum at the Greek side and then heading back to Larnaca. Last day I check a local fortress in Larnaca and then taking cheap flight to Bucuresti, from where I am slowly heading back home by train, visiting some small towns on the way.
So my Summer Islands trip is over - I visited 5 islands (not counting all the small islands), each very different from the other ones, each with it's own charms, and everyone I would like to come back again.
Larnaca Hotels & Accommodations review
Quite far from down-town and the city beach. The rooms are clean, with balcony. Breakfast was horrible (I feel sorry for people who had full pension) … read entire review
photo by: ewooce