Part 2, Turku and Ă…land

Mariehamn Travel Blog

Before I took a ferry to Ă…land, I stayed one night in Turku. It's nice sleepy town, with some historical center. Reminds me lot about Eastern Europe, even though Finland is one of the richest countries in the world, they don't show it too much, many buildings are crumbling (or getting rotten since many of them are made of wood). Anyway, I like Finland, its nature and people.
Ferry to Mariehamn took few hours which I spent on board taking sun and drinking beer (as most of the people aboard). My hotel was just 100 meters from the harbor, crowded with retired motorcycle gang.
In the evening I went for a walk downtown (if I can call it town), interesting - all roads are red because of red granite which the island is made of.
The town was pretty crowded, at the time I came there a beach volleyball tournament was going on and I learnt that Ă…land is one of major beach volleyball places in the world.
Next day I wanted to see Kastelholm and Bomarsund fortress and because public transport is virtually not existing during weekend, I went to rent a bicycle. The island is flat, ideal for bike. There are many marked tracks, signs are sometimes confusing (I got lost twice), but landscape is beautiful, so I did not mind to take detour.
The Kastelholm castle and surroundings are beautiful, also Bomarsund was interesting, pity that fortress is in ruins, it used to be impressive building.
The trip to Ă…land was short, but beautiful. I can imagine spending week or more on the island, biking and fishing. I was told that the island is the most sunny place in Scandinavia. I can believe it, we had beautiful weather while Finland and Sweden was cloudy and rainy.
Ă…land plates
Ă…land plates
Fish soup, the best I ever had.
Fish soup, the best I ever had.
Waiting for bike rental to open