Phakding – Jorsale – Namche Bazaar

Nepal Travel Blog

 › entry 3 of 16 › view all entries

Woke up at 5:00am and this was my routine for the rest of the trek. Since we had a shared toilet so went and finished all the morning chores before the other trekkers formed a queue. Around 7:00am it was breakfast with a beautiful morning view of the sunrays in the mountains. Had Tibetan bread/jam and black coffee and we bid the lodge owners goodbye and were on the road. Today is a tough day as will be the first day of the climb and have to go up the Namche Hill.

We reached Monjo and after a quick tea break continued over mountains, corssing rivers via suspension bridges going up and down and up and down the mountains. Stopped at lunch in Jorsale at a lodge where there were 2 German ENT specialists who were doing a free ear checkup for the locals and giving them hearing aids. Was to fun watch the locals who were initially a bit hesitant but then opened up. There was one Nepali patient who was there to get a hearing aid who had lost his earlier one, the reason he gave was that a mouse in his house took his hearing machine, everyone was laughing at his story along with the doctors.

Poor chap felt really shy but he was sticking to his side of the story. We left the place around 11:30am after lunch towards the Namche Hill. It was a tough 2 ½ hours walk which drained out all my energy and had to take frequent breaks and eat dry fruits for the extra energy. In the middle at one viewpoint you can see the tip of the Mount Everest if there are no clouds.

Finally reached Namche Bazaar completely tired and wasted around 2:00pm. This place has around 50 buildings now, most of them are hotels and all of them are built over the slope of mountains. This is the biggest town we were to stay in before me moved ahead further in our trek. Got to my room in the Lodge (Namche Inn), freshened up and took some rest. Later had some snacks and took a stroll in the market. Since had forgotten the down jacket in Ktm, thought will try and rent of buy one in the market. Renting was expensive as the amount was coming to be the same as buying a new one so walked into a shop to get myself a new down jacket. The shopkeepers were friendly people and soon we were joking and laughing with other people joining. The negotiation was fun and was watching the other foreigner shoppers paying the inflated tourist prices. I got a very good deal and then came back to the hotel where there was a loud discussion going on Nepali Politics and the current situation of Nepal after the new government.

Me and my guide too joined in the discussion.

Seemed that the day we left from Ktm, the President of Nepal had removed the Army chief and was trying to get a Maoist army chief. This it seemed had created some tension in Ktm and this might trigger some protests and shutdowns in Ktm city. We were lucky to start early morning before this thing started. The discussion went on for some 2-3 hours and finally had by dinner at 7:00pm.  Was in my room by 8:30 for the end of the days trek.

Join TravBuddy to leave comments, meet new friends and share travel tips!
Namche Bazaar
Namche Bazaar