AsiaNepal

Katmandu to Lukla to Thode Kasi to Phakding

Nepal Travel Blog

Lukla Airport

Woke up around 5:15am and got ready, Pancha came at 6am and I was ready for the start of my trek. Took a taxi to airport and halfway we realized I had left the winter down jacket in Pancha’s office. As it was close to the flight timings so nothing could be done now and we decided to arrange for one in Namche Bazaar. The Kathmandu domestic airport looks like some warehouse with people shouting, dumping there baggage anywhere they would find space. At the check-in counter people shouting the flight names and departure announcements. Me and my guide checked in to Yeti airlines and went inside after security check.

The flight to Lukla was a 20-22 seater, twin turbo engine one and it was amusing to see everyone trying to rush into the plane to get a seat for better view of the mountains. It was a cloudy day so could not see much so most of the foreigners looked disappointed.

Small runway at the edge of the mountain.
I was looking down at the valley and was sitting just above the wheels, suddenly there was a air strip and the plane landed some 20-30 meters from the edge of the mountain at the Lukla airport. My breath stopped for a moment as here I was looking down at the valley and suddenly we landed just like that. The flight duration was around 30 min and we were out of the airport by around 9:00am.

We started walking out of the Lukla town and after registering at the check post we were on our trail to our next stop Phakding. It was a easy trail all the way down with stone pathway and all around was green mountains, huge ones all the way I could see. We stopped for lunch at a place called Thade Kosi which was just near a river bridge. We could hear the water gushing in the river as we had our first lunch in the mountains (Dal-Bhat and vegetables). The feeling you get having lunch in the mountains beside a river cannot be described in words, its something that needs to be experienced. Later it started to drizzle and we put on the raincoats and started to walk, but within 10 min we were sweating inside as the sun had suddenly come out. We crossed a few more suspension bridges over rivers on the way and reached Phakding around 1:30pm. The place we stopped for the day (Star Lodge) was just after one suspension bridge and had a amazing view. Had some refreshing hot lemon tea and relaxed a bit.

Evening came fast and soon it was dinner time 6:30pm in the mountains. After dinner checked my baggage for the next day and went to bed.

halilee says:
WOW, that's impressive!! :)
aquaholicme2 says:
Yupp, since 2005 never missed a year. The mountains keep calling you back.
halilee says:
Looks like Nepal bit you as well... you've been there many times!
Lukla Airport
Small runway at the edge of the mo…
Small runway at the edge of the m…
My guide Monik