Bangalore to Delhi to Kathmandu

Nepal Travel Blog

 › entry 1 of 16 › view all entries
Panchalal, my friend, in his office Abbey Int'l Treks and Expeditions(P) Ltd

The morning arrived for my Everest region trek after a long wait and after some 4 hrs of sleep the previous night, woke up at 4 in the morning and was on the road by 4:30 towards the airport.

Bus to the airport arrived around 5am and in no time was inside the airport. There is a airport tax in Bangalore of Rupees 260/- to be paid and before going to then check-in counters for JetLite (budget airlines in India and in collaboration with Jet airways), got a seat on the emergency exit with good leg space, proceed for security check. I had left my zippo lighter in my handbag and was asked to remove the cotton pad and the igniting stone. Luckily got to keep my zippo. Fight reached Delhi around 9:50am, but it had landed in the international terminal instead of domestic and then the chaos began. We had to take a bus to the domestic terminal first, collect our bags and then go back to the international terminal. What the heck?

The distance between the 2 terminals is around 7 kms and takes approx 20 min to commute. But then we found that the baggage was to take some more time to reach domestic terminals and there we were waiting for close to 1 ½ hours, it was already 11:30am. My international flight to Ktm was to leave at 12noon. All this time we were screaming at the airport staff and the reason given was that the baggage bus broke down in between and it was taking some time to get the bags from the international to domestic terminal. Fortunately I had checked in all the way till Ktm, and that did help a bit as the airlines staff later helped me to get my baggage, put me on a taxi to reach the international terminal quickly. They also assured me that that if it gets late, they will put me on the next flight to Ktm that was leaving at 1pm, no extra charge.

            Well we did not make the 12pm flight so were put in the next Jet airways flight at 1pm. The good thing was that we would get free food and beer on this flight so thought that was not so bad after all. Reached Ktm around 2:45pm and my friend Panchalal was waiting at the airport. All the other foreigners were being checked for SwineFlu symptoms so I was the 2nd person to get out of the airport as rest all were either busy in heath checks, immigration, baggage collection, etc.

            I was in my friend Panchalal's travel agency office (Abbey Int'l Treks) in no time collecting all my trekking permits and other documents. Changed money to Nepali currency and went off to get some necessary things for the trek. We later went for the Nepali dinner of Dal-Bhat and back at the hotel for some good sleep. Was dead tired after the busy day and got ready, packed my bag for next days trek and hit the bed.

aquaholicme2 says:
It sure was a good thing, as the delay was just 1 hr and got free food and beer. :-)
Posted on: May 28, 2009
aswold says:
What an aggravating start of a trip. Good thing they gave you the next flight!
Posted on: May 28, 2009
Join TravBuddy to leave comments, meet new friends and share travel tips!
Panchalal, my friend, in his offic…
Panchalal, my friend, in his offi…
Trekking route
Trekking route