Day 7 - Thrills and Spills

Val Thorens Travel Blog

Dave, Niki and I
Our final lesson of the day was by far our best, as we tackled many blue slopes well and also went down the same red run we had previously. We concentrated mainly on you turning and the ability to lift a ski off the slope to help our turns. Since the slopes were quite steep, it was imperative to always lean into the mountain, which was something Dave and I handled well today. By now we had got to know our classmates well and the banter was good. We could all be proud of the progress we had made during our 6 days of lessons.

Having been really tired yesterday afternoon, I was glad to have loads of energy for our last ski session of the trip. Brett was missing though, as he had pulled a hamstring the previous day. So Dave, Niki and I headed off for some of our favourite runs, with the intention of getting in as many as we could.
On the chairlift
And this brought us to a very tasty blue slope that we had grown to love. We generally went down in stages on the slopes, meeting at certain points before heading off again, just so no-one was left behind. The tail end of this particular slope consisted of a long, straight and steep slope. Dave and I decided that we would just go for it, straight down with no turning and no stopping.

So Dave set off first and I followed behind closely. We both leant forward with knees bent and soon we were going far quicker than we had before. The slopes were less choppy than previous days and I soon felt my skis coming off the ground and I began wobbling. It was then that I spotted Dave having the same problem and a split second later he spilled at high speed, causing a massive spray of snow as he slid head first down the mountain.
Val Thorens
Luckily I managed to slow up where he had landed but the next thing I knew I was also on the ground. A girl had ran right into me at full speed and sent me flying. After wiping the snow from my eyes and mouth, I turned to find Dave and the girl also brushing themselves off amongst a pile of skis, poles and sunglasses! Unbelievably, no-one had been hurt and we got our stuff back on and continued our ski.

For our last night in resort we decided to go out with a bang. First up was a slap up meal of Raclette in a great little restaurant across from our chalet. From there we hit a couple of bars before we made our way to Club Malaysia once more. What followed was a mish mash of drunken dancing, bopping, slurred speech and bleary eyed camera poses. Evidence from our photos showed that we have a habit of roping in several accomplices for these shenanigans!

We made our way home in the early hours of the day, not looking forward to our 6am wake up call in the slightest. As for the trip though, it's something that I'm really glad I have finally done and will definitely be doing it again. It's quality. Can't recommend Val Thorens enough and would gladly return there next winter.
Niki and Dave