Day 3 - Bring On The Eggheads

Val Thorens Travel Blog

Val Thorens
The day commenced with the usual continental breakfast, and we eagerly got our gear on ready for another day of skiing. We were keen to get down to it again today as we had made good progress the previous afternoon on our own. The first part of today's lesson was to do a few runs on the nursery slope, just so the instructors could see how we were progressing. Luckily for Dave and I, we were deemed able to continue with our current group and take on some 'green slopes'.

However, first we had to tackle our first chairlift. I think I speak for everyone in our group, when I say that we were a little apprehensive about getting on the chairlift, mainly due to hoping we didn't end up hanging upside down from it! Turns out that getting on is no problem at all, and we were able to enjoy some stunning views of the mountains and the runs that weaved around the resort.
Snow Plough
Now, getting on was easy, but as we approached the top, we realised that getting off might be the harder part. It was a little tricky getting off and there were a few fallers but luckily I managed to just keep my balance and stayed on my skis. Phew.

Our instructor advised that we would be tackling a few green runs in order to get used to some weaving and also to increase our confidence. The run could get fairly fast in places and there were a few decent corners, and all the group handled it very well and progress was being made. The rest of the day was spent getting used to these slopes and chairlifts, and was very enjoyable.

After a lunch of French bread, meat and Nutella, we were eager to get out again for an afternoon ski to show Niki and Brett our progress.
N-Dubz!
I think they were quietly impressed at our skills and it was nice for all of us to get on a chairlift and tackle some slopes together. The afternoon was spent practicing what we had learnt that morning. We thoroughly went down all the slopes we had with our group again, and soon realised that practice really does make perfect as both out ability and confidence grew.

A whole day of skiing had passed and we were understandably tired and opted for a power nap before Niki cooked up another great dinner. A pub quiz was the plan for the night, and with some tasty prizes up for offer, we were keen to do well. Things looked a little ominous for us as we looked at the competition. There were another 5 or 6 teams, and each team greatly outnumbered us in terms of team members.
Val Thorens
However, after a couple of rounds we had raced into the lead. A dilemma ensued however, as 1st prize was a professional photo and 2nd place was a meal for 4 at the Frog and Roast Beef pub. We had to try and finish in 2nd place, without answering too many questions wrong, as we might slip out of the prize positions!

Luckily for us, we managed to ask the quiz master if we could get the meal if we won and she agreed. So with our favoured prize in mind, we got down to it and stayed in pole position till the end, winning the quiz by the narrowest margin. Happy days. We rounded off the night by winning a few more post quiz goodies and downing a few well deserved beers.
photo by: ms_travelr