Day 1 - The Early Bird...

Val Thorens Travel Blog

Val Thorens
I awoke to the sound of my infuriating alarm at the god awful hour of 3am, as our flight leaving from Glasgow was the first of the day and we needed to be there by around 5am. It was far too early to be excited despite being about to embark on my first ski trip. But once we were in the car on the way to the airport parking and the heaters were blasting out some hot air, we soon woke up and finally began to muster enough words for a conversation.

All went very smoothly at the airport, from the airport parking to check-in and after buying some snacks and reading material for the plane, we were soon boarding the plane. The flight was pleasant enough, turbulence free and quick and very scenic as today the weather was pleasant. Arriving at Chambery, the smallest airport I'd ever been to, we had to wait an age to get our luggage, before we boarded our bus that would take us to Val Thorens.
Val Thorens

The bus journey was just as pleasant as the flight as we snaked through the snow covered mountains, steadily climbing as we did so. After just under 2 hours we arrived at Val Thorens, and soon checked into our chalet. Brett would be arriving from Switzerland soon, so Dave, Niki and I unpacked and waited on his arrival.

Once Brett arrived, we had a catch up over a platter of meat, cheese and French fries, and eagerly discussed the skiing that was to be had. This was followed by a leisurely stroll around the resort. The sun was beaming down and the reflection off the snow was blinding. Trust me, Mr Unprepared, not to bring any sunglasses. I hadn't actually brought much with me in terms of ski gear, only gloves. Luckily, Niki, the seasoned skier donated plenty of her gear to Dave and I, so we would be more than ready for our first lesson tomorrow morning.
View from our chalet

But first we had to get fitted for our boots and ski's, and this was somewhat of a laborious task as everyone else in resort seemed to be doing the same thing! Luckily this gave Niki and Brett, who had brought their own gear, time to buy some beers! With gear and beer collected, and our first day drawing to a close, we decided on some take out pizza for dinner. After we had washed down a large pizza each with a couple of beers, we called it a night as tomorrow was the first day of skiing, and Dave and I had our first lesson!

photo by: ms_travelr