Good Hope brings Good Lunch

McDame Travel Blog

Good Hope Lake
I thought I'd put this stop in this blog, because it's one of the greatest places I never planned to go. It just so happened that we started to get hungry at the right time, and saw this lake to our left over some trees. There was a dirt road leaded down from the highway towards it, so we decided to go down it, not knowing whether we were going to get kicked out for trespassing or yelled at for disturbing someone else's picnic lunch.

It's just off of highway 37, the Stewart-Cassiar, around Cassiar or McDame. The road isn't marked but the turquoise lake is hard to miss. Once you get down there, it's far enough below the highway that it's very peaceful and quiet, and you can really lose yourself in the reflection of the lake and the sound of the water on the rocky shore. There a small shore, big enough for a some camping chairs and your camping stove and whatever else you need to make your meal. The road to the lake isn't long, but leave you car at the switchback halfway so you can just enjoy the lake, not the view of the trunk of your car!

I'd highly recommend this as a place to stop if you're traveling down the Cassiar!
photo by: silan