Where it all began

Merritt Travel Blog

Literally... it may not seem like it, but I was born in the sleepy town of Merritt, British Columbia, where my family lived for several years. No longer sporting even a hospital, it's slowly fading away into obscurity, brought back to life every year with the Merritt Mountain Music Festival. Every summer, RVs, kegs and country music echo through the Fraser Valley and put the town on the map. Within a few days, there is little proof of this phantom stampede, save the empty beer cans and well-tread fields. I only lived there for a couple years and don't remember the stories my parents and older brothers share about the brown-painted house across from McDonalds and the tree frog that lived in the front yard. It's not my home, and it never was; but there a sort of pride and birthright that comes with being born in the interior. I'm drawn to the nature-infused, wild and bold personality of the lakes, canyons, mountains, rivers, oceans and valleys that is British Columbia.

This blog is an attempt to record and promote the best of BC and hopefully to encourage others and myself to continue to explore this great province!
callufrax says:
I really love BC. I've seen so very little of it, though. That will have to change!
Posted on: May 19, 2009