Grant Cards

Saint Louis Travel Blog

White Haven, Grant's home

I would check out of the hostel, and head to the airport, where I would pick up my rental car for the day. I considered going up to Hannibal, which was 2 hours away. But at the last minute, I decided to take another baseball game. Once I got the car, I checked into a Motel 6, and bought the ticket over the phone.

After that, I decided to visit the Ulysses S. Grant Historical Site, which was about 30 minutes outside the downtown area. It took me about an hour to get there. This site was where the Civil War general and president lived during most of his adult life. This site mainly focused on the personal life, rather than the presidency or Civil War. I started out at the visitor center, then went on a guided tour of White Haven, the name of his house.

Redbird Club
I was the only person on the tour, which tends to make me feel a little uneasy. After the house tour, I was shown around the estate, stopping by and looking inside the various buildings.

It was time to leave, and I wanted to make sure I ate lunch before the game. Otherwise, I would end up buying it at the ballpark, which would cost me more money. I stopped by a McDonald's for a quick bite, then headed for downtown, to the stadium. When I got off the highway, I would naturally get stuck in traffic, as expected before game time. Nonetheless, I was frustrated because I wanted enough time to pick up my ticket before the first pitch. I did park at the first parking garage I saw, which turned out to be cheaper than most of the ones closer to the stadium.

I got to the ticket window and learned that there are no refunds in MLB.
view from my seat
Their reason "we don't control the weather". Since I already bought the ticket for this day's game, so exchanging for the rained out game was not an option. The only option was to be upgraded to the Redbird Club, which didn't really cover the cost of the ticket. The makeup game would be the next day, but by then, I would have already left town by then. This policy has screwed the Brewers fans big-time, as I would see one of them getting really upset about the policy.

I went to the Redbird Club, which was an indoor lounge with a concession stand, on the 2nd level behind home plate. Not much of an upgrade, if you asked me. But the view was nice. The whole point for me, was the game between the St. Louis Cardinals and Milwaukee Brewers. I would miss some of the scoring in the top of the 1st inning, as the Brewers took a 4-0 lead, since I was looking for my seat.
history tiles
The scored stayed that way until the bottom of the 6th, when the Cardinals cut the lead to 4-2. But Prince Fielder would hit a 3-run homer, putting the game away, as the Brewers came away with an 8-2 win over the Cardinals.

I've been told that there are fireworks whenever the Cardinals win, but I won't know, since they lost both games I was at. Plus this was the first time I would not see the home team win any game that I was at. There would be a little league afterwards, but I did not stick around.

I exited and walked around the stadium, seeing the tiles that marked dates in Cardinals history. This team has been around for over 100 years, and have the 2nd most World Series championships. I think you can pretty much guess who has the most. Anyway, quite a remarkable history!

I left downtown, and tried to visit the Iron Barley, but it was closed on Sundays. Then tried another place, but they just closed. So I just went back to the hotel, and ate dinner in my room, and watching Sunday Night Baseball. Since I had an early morning flight the next day, I had to go to bed early.

White Haven, Grants home
White Haven, Grant's home
history tiles
me in front of Grants home
me in front of Grant's home
on Grants estate