Food, History and Baseball

Saint Louis Travel Blog

Pappy's Smokehouse

The day started, with me going to the Old Courthouse, near the Arch, but decided to save it for later. It was only a couple blocks from the stadium, so I could spend time here while waiting for game time.

So I walked all the way down to Pappy's Smokehouse, which was about 30 blocks away. I wanted to build up my appetite, but it also meant walking in the hot and humid weather, and through areas that looked unsafe.

I got to Pappy's Smokehouse, and ate a great meal there. Another place I knew, due to being featured on Man v. Food, a show on the Travel Channel. I had some chicken sandwich, with fried corn and applesauce. And I came in just in time, because by the time I finished eating, the line got so much longer. Though that did rule out getting seconds for myself.

replica of 'Spirit of St. Louis', hanging in Missouri History Museum

Leaving the place, I took the bus back towards downtown, and then hopped onto a MetroLink. I went to the next place, the Missouri History Museum, just outside of downtown. I went inside, being greeted by the statue of Thomas Jefferson and the replica of the "Spirit of St. Louis". More about this museum in the review here.

But I have to say, the part that really caught my interest, was the baseball part. Makes sense, since this trip was happening mainly because of baseball. I got to see displays that were once in Busch Memorial Stadium, sometimes nicknamed "Busch Stadium II", which was home of the Cardinals from 1966 to 2005, and once home of the Cardinals football team. Yes, there was a baseball team and football team with the same nickname in the same city.
Busch Stadium
There were also things from the St. Louis Browns, a team that would relocate in 1950 to become the Baltimore Orioles.

After seeing this museum, I went to the Crown Candy Kitchen for the second time, and ordered a chocolate ice cream sundae. It was very good! Then went back to the hostel to rest. Then back out, to the baseball game.

I arrived at Busch Stadium, and walking up to the Stan Musial statue, which was in front of one of the entrance. I had to go to the ticket office, to get my ticket. Then went to see the statues, of great Cardinals. After that, I went inside the stadium, and got a free t-shirt. I walked around the concourse, seeing the various features along the way. More about them and the ballpark itself, in the review here.
rolling tarp onto diamond

This is one of those ballparks, where you could not see the game from the concourse. After walking around the stadium, I went to my seat. My seat was on the left field side, underneath the 2nd level. So I was under the shade, which is what I always prefer when going to games.

I did spend a lot of money, and ended up not getting much. I know, that is the way it is with buying food at sporting events. I decided to get some Cracker Jacks, not remembering if I ever ate them before. So I did try them, and I hated it. It gets stuck in my teeth, and at times, difficult to chew. I just had to try them, since they were referenced in the song "Take Me Out to the Ballgame".

The St. Louis Cardinals took on the Milwaukee Brewers, in a battle for the NL Central. I know, it's too early to talk division races.
game postponed
:) But I did notice quite a few Brewers fans, as they have traveled to see their team. The Cardinals got off to a good start, as Colby Rasmus hit a 2-run homer to giving them a 2-0 lead in the 2nd inning.

Unfortunately, the weather forecast was not good, and only got worse when it started to rain. When there was lightning, that was when the game would be in a rain delay. The crew got out quickly, rolled out the tarp to cover the field. Very interesting to see it for myself.

It rained really hard, and I considered myself lucky to sit underneath the 2nd level. The people in the front rows, quickly took cover. The wait was for 90 minutes, until it was decided that the game was postponed, and would be made up later. I was not happy, and was told by one of the ushers, that I could get a refund for my ticket, since I'm an out-of-towner, and could not go to the makeup game. I'd have to do this in person.

I left the stadium, and just went back to the hostel, feeling disappointed. Hopefully, the weather will be better the next day.

Pappys Smokehouse
Pappy's Smokehouse
replica of Spirit of St. Louis, …
replica of 'Spirit of St. Louis',…
downtown
old St. Louis Cardinal helmet
old St. Louis Cardinal helmet
turnstile from old Busch Stadium
turnstile from old Busch Stadium
Busch Stadium III (also known as n…
Busch Stadium III (also known as …
Stan Musial statue
rain delay
fans at MetroLink
fans at MetroLink
Saint Louis Sights & Attractions review
Nice place to watch a ballgame
Being the third baseball stadium bearing the same name in St. Louis, Busch Stadium is sometimes nicknamed “Busch Stadium III” or “New Busch Stad… read entire review
Saint Louis Sights & Attractions review
Nice museum on city history
Despite its name, the Missouri History Museum only seems to tell the history of St. Louis, and not the whole state. Located in Forest Park, it is reac… read entire review