First Pitch

Saint Louis Travel Blog

line for First Pitch

The day started with a visit to the Old Courthouse. First, it was the dioramas on the Louisiana Purchase, then a room featuring a different time period in St. Louis history. There were 4, but I only visited 1, then had to leave for First Pitch at the stadium.

I got in line for First Pitch, which was already long, even though it was 30 minutes before game time. But not too bad. First Pitch is a way for people to get tickets at the last minute, like out-of-towners, and for a cheap price. I got a voucher while in line, and when going up to the window, got another one and paid $11. The second one is for 2 tickets. Where in the stadium, will be determined by a random drawing. So it can be front row, or standing room.

I went to a nearby Hardee's for breakfast, then back to the Courthouse to see more in there.

game time
I saw another room on St. Louis history, which had mainly artifacts, and what happened during that time period. Not really too much to see. Then I ended up dropping in on the ranger giving history on slavery and the Dred Scott case. It was very interesting to listen to.

I went to the stadium, and waited in line for First Pitch tickets. I did get the day's giveaway, a Cardinals cap. Then when getting my ticket at the window, I ended up with standing room. I didn't like it because my feet are hurting from so much standing around. Plus I felt like I was purposely given them, after an usher asked me if I was traveling alone.

I went to the standing room area on the 3rd base side, but moved to the 1st base side to stay out of the sunlight. A better view of the game, but hard to enjoy with painful feet.
me dressed as a Cards fan
By the 3rd inning, I sat in an empty seat. No one seemed to notice or care, and figure some seats will always remain empty throughout the game.

This time, the St. Louis Cardinals and Milwaukee Brewers were able to play a full game this time, since the weather was a lot nicer. But this one turned out to be a pitching duel between Adam Wainrwright and Jeff Suppan. Neither team could get anything going offensively. The Brewers would end up with only 2 hits in the game, but one of them was a Corey Hart home run, which was all the offense. The Brewers shut out the Cardinals, 1-0. First time I've seen a shutout.

After the game, I resumed touring the Courthouse, and touring the Dred Scott exhibitions, which was the most interesting part of the museum.
courtroom where Dred Scott case took place
The story of a slave who sued for his freedom, which ended up going to the US Supreme Court, and how the decision would later spark the Civil War. This place was where the case was tried, and in the upper levels, there are smaller courtrooms.

I was planning to go to the Iron Barley, but ended up taking the wrong bus, and took it all the way to the end of the line. I realized I was lost, and just had to ride back to the hostel, since so much time was wasted, and I did not have any computer access to check for directions.

I returned to the hostel, and just decided to go to sleep early, since I was tired. I was not sure what I would do the next day.

me dressed as a Cards fan
courtroom where Dred Scott case to…
courtroom where Dred Scott case t…
Arch, Courthouse, taken from plaza