Arrival at the Gateway

Saint Louis Travel Blog

St. Louis

My baseball quest has resumed this year, as I plan to visit more stadiums. This year will be more focus on National League ballparks.

The day got off to a rough start, since I missed my train to the airport, and had to take a cab to get there. I hate taking cabs, because of the high cost, but in this case, I had to, in order to make my flight. I was able to check-in, but security line was long and slow. Once through that, I had to take a shuttle bus to the other side of the airport, and once at the gate, it had already closed. Another woman just got there as well. We asked if we can still board, and the attendant called, and next thing, we were allowed to board. A very close call!

The flight took about 2 and 1/2 hours. Once in St. Louis, I had to take the MetroLink to downtown. Since the vending machine did not take credit card, I had to pay with a $20 bill, and ended up getting a lot of dollar coins, which I don't like.

McArthur Bridge over Mississppi River
I got on board, and went to the Civic Center stop, which was by the Scottrade Center, home the St. Louis Blues. Then I went on a bus, taking me to the Huckleberry Finn Hostel (review here).

The hostel is a bit rundown, but in an okay neighborhood. It is very cheap, which is the main reason why I'm staying there. Once that was taken care of, it was time to sightsee. So I went back to downtown, and stopped by the visitor center to pick up some information. Then it was off to the Gateway Arch.

The Gateway Arch, a monument that commemorates westward expansion, which earned St. Louis the nickname "Gateway to the West". When walking up to the Arch, I had to deal with a bunch of annoying knats, or whatever these tiny insects are called.
downtown St. Louis (taken from top of Arch)
Probably because of the riverside location, and the hot and humid weather.

I started off with the river sightseeing cruise, getting on board the Tom Sawyer. The cruise would be a cruise up and down the Mississippi, giving a tour of St. Louis. One of the highlights was seeing the Lewis & Clark, being submerged in water, so I could only see one of them waving his hat. There were the various bridges and buildings in downtown St. Louis, and of course the Gateway Arch. More about the riverboat cruise in the review here.

After the tour, I went inside, below the Arch, to see a film. Then rode in a pod-like tram, to the top of the Arch, for views of St. Louis and the Mississippi River. More about the Gateway Arch in the review here.
Crown Candy Kitchen

After coming back down, I went to see the Museum of Westward Expansion, which was mainly about the Lewis & Clark exploration of the Louisiana Purchase. A bunch of artifacts, and exhibits telling the story of their journeys, as they were exploring the new territories that America had just purchased. I did like looking at the lifelike animatronics, and even made faces at it.

After that, I went to the Crown Candy Kitchen, which I knew about from the Travel Channel show, Man v. Food. A nice place, which looked like a 50's diner, and relief from the humid weather. I enjoyed a chocolate malt, and had dinner there, and checked out the strange candy on display. Did not buy anything though.

I rode the bus back to the hostel, and relaxed for the rest of the day. I did get to meet one of the roommates, who has been in St. Louis for a few months. Probably a nomad, moving from place to place. Then went to sleep early.

Nana_gincin says:
Congratulations on your featured blog Walter!
Posted on: Nov 14, 2015
WalterC says:
And it is very yummy! :D
Posted on: Nov 11, 2015
cotton_foam says:
chocolate malt sounds yummy! :)
Posted on: Nov 09, 2015
St. Louis
McArthur Bridge over Mississppi Ri…
McArthur Bridge over Mississppi R…
downtown St. Louis (taken from top…
downtown St. Louis (taken from to…
Scottrade Center
my dinner at Crown Candy
my dinner at Crown Candy
Saint Louis Sights & Attractions review
The Gateway Arch
The Gateway Arch is a monument to westward expansion, going back to the time when St. Louis was looked upon as the gateway to the west. The west was r… read entire review
Saint Louis Hostels review
Very cheap place to stay
The hostel does look a bit rundown on the outside, but the rooms are very basic, and do have that old-fashion feel to it. The beds are a bit bumpy. … read entire review
Saint Louis Sights & Attractions review
Nice tour of St. Louis
An one-hour riverboat cruise is a nice way to get an overall tour of St. Louis, if your time is really short. You will board either the Tom Sawyer or … read entire review