Goodbye Kenya

Nairobi Travel Blog

The rest of my trip to Kenya was quite nice.  Clay and I took the overnight train to Mombasa and had a great two days visiting the historic city.  I really loved "old town" the historic section of the city where houses were constructed from coral back during the city's heyday.  The street in that area were extremely narrow and you found many people walking around selling goods, constructing goods (especially doing beautiful wood carvings), and many people going in and out of the many mosques.  I highly recommend a visit to Mombasa for anyone who wants to see the combination of african and middle eastern cultures.

From Mombasa we traveled on to Malindi and eventually to Lamu.  Lamu is an island off the coast and it is quite nice.  But I would not say it is as amazing as everyone makes it out to be.  It is kind of like a Kenyan Mackinaw Island in that it does not have any motor vehicles, only donkeys.  Overall Lamu exhibits all of the cool swahili history that Mombasa does, but its one positive point over mombasa is that it is on an island and has a nice beach.  While the beach is nice and going on dhow trips is fun I found myself wanting to do something more after 3 days....

Well now I am off to Turkey.  So I cant wait to update you all on my soon to be amazing trip there :)

photo by: easyjobrob