Volcan Arenal

La Fortuna Travel Blog

 › entry 5 of 11 › view all entries
The first night in La Fortuna and the next morning were pretty lazy, minus running. I needed a bit of a break from activities. I went canyining in the afternoon though which was quite fun, just a bit expensive for my tastes. Afterwards they provided us with a typical Costa Rican meal which was VERY good. I was lame and tired that evening and went to bed around 7:30... yes I am approximately 80 years old :)

The next day I spent with Jessie and Kevin. We went on a boat tour to see the wildlife, and we saw lots or animals! Monkeys, bats, birds, caymen (mini crocodile), etc. Kevin was a bit sad that we still had not seen a sloth... BUT THEN on the way home the driver halts the car to a stop, has us get out, and points up in a tree at a sloth!!! We named him Mr. Pokey or Pokes for short. It was amazing. I'm not sure how the driver noticed him while going 50mph. That made Kevin's (and my) week. That evening I just hung around the hostel with Kevin and Jessie.

They left the next morning pretty early. It felt like parting with good friends since I'd been hanging out with them for a whole week straight. I spent the morning doing random errands and getting ready to leave.

I left for the bus station at 11:30 and stopped to get money out of the ATM. Note to anyone going to Costa Rica-take your card back immediately when it gives it to you. If not, the machine pulls the card back in and you cannot retrieve it. This is to protect you from having your card stolen, quite a good idea actually. However, I didn't have time to wait around to have someone come and get it for me. I ended up calling Suntrust and having them expedite me a new card. Much simpler for me. I treated myself to a night at the Holiday Inn near the airport that night rather than a hostel, and headed out to Nicaragua the next morning. More to come about my stay in Nicaragua...
Join TravBuddy to leave comments, meet new friends and share travel tips!
La Fortuna
photo by: jeannajumps