Relaxing Weekend

Samara Travel Blog

This past week has been a rough one. I have been sick all week. It was my birthday on Tuesday, but I was so tired that I didn't do anything but volunteer in the morning and read all evening. (I'm reading Harry Potter 6 in Spanish!)

On the bright side, Mandy and I have been teaching english this past week. We're teaching mostly 3-5yr olds, but we also have any age up to the moms coming to the class. It's really fun, but sometimes a bit frustrating. We're doing the best we can. It's difficult because since most of them can't write, we're just teaching them a sound and trying to attribute a significance to it. Problem is, then they have trouble remembering the sounds (words). I do think some of them are doing very well with it though. Plus, some of the moms have been learning it, and we've been giving them a little more to work on during the class too. After class is over we stick around in case anyone needs help with any homework or extra work. We've had a few people take us up on that, so we taught some math and went over english homework with and 18yr old girl. The people we have been working with are great. The lady who is in charge of our project is the pastor of the church out of which we've been working. She's a great person and has been taking her time to show us around the neighborhood, but also to downtown San Jose. And, of course, the kids are adorable and I enjoy playing with them.

This past Thursday, Mandy, Nicolas (our housemate), and I headed out to Samara to spend the weekend. Our first night we went directly to El Lagarto-my favorite restaurant here. It was my "birthday dinner." Since then, we've been hanging out at Las Ventanas, my parents place. It's been a bit overcast, but I'm enjoying myself anyways. I have been reading lots and attempting to run a bit, though I start coughing a lot whenever I run. I think that's a bad sign. I've been using my parents' stores of medicine, so hopefully this will go away soon.

Pura Vida!
pawandangie says:
Wow is all I can say. Can't wait to see pictures.
Pa and angie