Penang, The Food Paradise

Penang Travel Blog

Good morning, Penang
I arrived Penang at 11.30am. I waited my friend to fetch me up. The main purpose I come to Penang was searching for food. Hehe. First station was Ayer Itam to eat Assam Laksa. Assam laksa is a sour fish-based soup. The main ingredients for assam laksa include shredded fish, normally kembung fish or mackerel, and finely sliced vegetables including cucumber, onions, red chillis, pineapple, lettuce, common mint, "daun kesum" (Vietnamese mint or laksa mint) and pink bunga kantan (ginger buds). Assam laksa is normally served with either thick rice noodles or thin rice noodles (vermicelli). And topped off with "petis udang" or "hae ko", a thick sweet prawn/shrimp paste. Then, we went to Batu Feringhi beach to take some pictures.
Batu Feringhi
The scenery was much beautiful than Langkawi. But the weather was very hot that time. Soon, we left there. We went to George Town to search cendol. Cendol is a desert which consists of shaved ice, coconut milk, starch noodles with green food coloring (usually sourced from the pandan leaf), and palm sugar. Red beans, glutinous rice, grass jelly, and creamed corn are optional additions. But we couldn't find it. Instead of Cendol, I ate Char Koay Teow in Weld Quay. Char Koay Teow is a stir-fried flat rice noodles, tossed with bean sprouts, cockles and eggs. The taste was good. After that, we left Penang Island and went to my friend house which in Prai. Penang also popular with other food like Hokkien Mee, Koay Teow Th'ng and Penang lobak. Penang offers plenty of delicious and cheap Malaysian food throughout its countless food stalls.
Transitory says:
The food sounds amazing!
Posted on: May 22, 2009
strangemystic says:
But Char Koay Teow doesn't seem to be a dessert, is it?
Posted on: May 17, 2009