A rest not far from the Autobahn

Burgwedel Travel Blog

I had driven from Austria in the morning via Bratislava and Brno and I was heading back to Copenhagen when I just felt that enough could be enough. I was only 5 hours drive from home but I decided that a good night sleep would be far better than driving sleep on the Autobahn.

I turned of the Autobahn just after Hannover and just followed a small road into a village. I stopped and entered hotels on my GPS and it turned out that there were one just 300 meters from where I parked. The Kokenhof hotel was a red brick hotel built in old design with a frame in wood. There were serious constructions going on, as the hotel was getting a lot bigger. I parked my car under in the shade at their parking outside because I had loads of beers in the cars that I didn’t want to loose during the night if they had been visual. There were constantly people coming out from the hotel and expected that they were serving good food in there.

I entered the lobby and found this smiling girl behind the counter. She said hallo and I did the same back and asked if they had a room for the night. Luckily I could get a room and I negotiated the price down to 99 euro, which I found fair for a stay in a fair looking hotel. The hotel had looked a bit old from the outside but well inside the place was quite modern. The people that had left when I arrived had all been dining at the hotels restaurant, which I dropped to do as it was almost 10 pm when I arrived.

My room number 108 was on the ground floor just around a couple of corners from the reception. The room was fair in size but not much more. The first thing that struck me was the colors of the curtains; they were striped in red and yellow. There was a very narrow desk along the wall opposite the bed with a small flat screen on it. There was also an armchair in red with yellow pillows with a small round table next to it. The bed was a nice European king size, with a wooden headboard. The room was decorated functionality without anything special. The bathroom on the other side, reminded much more about the modern design that had met me in the entrance of the hotel.

There was a minibar with a couple of beers, wine and some soda water and it was all included in the room rate. Next morning when I woke up pretty late and I decided that I didn’t want to leave the hotel before 11 am, which was the official check out time that I was told the reception. Like a German or Swiss clockwork my room phone rang 5 minutes to 11 am in order to check if I wanted to prolong my stay. I could not help to laugh and told her that I would be in the reception at 11 am.

Burgwedel Hotels & Accommodations review
Nice hotel close to the Autobahn