A great place

Bamberg Travel Blog

I still don’t know what made me go for Bamberg. I am sorry to say I had never heard about it before and for that I feel a bit ashamed for today. The city is know for a lot more than its beauty, it was actually the centre of German knowledge and wisdom for a long time, besides that the city is classified as a World Heritage back in 1993 and not least it is well known to Americans since there is an American Army base just outside of the city.

As far as I remember I chose the city because it had two rivers meeting there. It is located in Upper Franconia on the river Regnitz, close to its confluence with the river Main; it is only 3 km before it flows into the Main river. Bamberg is one of the few cities in Germany that was not destroyed by World War II bombings. Bamberg is home to nearly 7,000 foreign nationals, including over 4,100 members of the United States Army and their dependents. The name Bamberg supposed to have its origin in the House of Babenberg.

Its geography is shaped by the Regnitz and by the foothills of the Steigerwald, part of the German uplands. From northeast to southwest, the town is divided into first the Regnitz plain, then one large and several small islands formed by two arms of the Regnitz (Inselstadt), and finally the part of town on the hills, the "Hill Town" (Bergstadt). Bamberg extends over seven hills, each crowned by a beautiful church.

Bamberg