Lunch in Pirna

Pirna Travel Blog

Town Hall

Pirna is a quite nice city in the Free State of Saxony, in what is referred to the administrative district of the Sächsische Schweitz. The city's population is over 40,000 but it feels much smaller when you enter it, with all its small well kept houses surrounded by parks. Pirna is located near Dresden; it is only 20 minutes drive away and the city is an important district town as well as a Große Kreisstadt. The town is also known for the horrible gassing of about 15,000 disabled people in Schloss Sonnenstein between June 1940 and August 1941, killings which ceased after pressure was exerted on the authorities by the local population. Today a small plaque at the base of Sonnenstein Castle remembers the dead.

I don’t know what made me go to Pirna but I was following the river and then suddenly the city was there. I had seen the name many times before because I had driven by on many occasions when I was driving from Copenhagen to Prague.

It was a lovely day and I was in great mood and entering the beautiful city didn’t make it worse. I parked in the city centre at the Town Square and walked around for some time. It was getting close to lunch time and I entered one of the small restaurants at the square where I have a quick lunch and a cold beer.

A great beer