Driving south

Puttgarden Travel Blog

On the ferry to Puttgarden

It was Friday morning and my alarm went off at 5.08 am and I felt like I just had closed my eyes. I was heading for Antwerp and I wanted to get rolling as fast as possible because the weather was really horrible. I had planned to drive the day before but I didn’t find it well worth doing, because Northern Germany was really hit hard by the snow.

I packed the last stuff and left Frederiksberg at exactly 6 am as I wanted to do. Just before I left home I checked the news to see if I should go to Germany via the ferry from Rødby to Puttgarden or I was to drive to Jylland and into Germany via Flensburg. I was happy that I checked because there was some kind of chemical spill near the motorway at Taulov and it was therefore blocked, so I decided to head south instantly. There was hardly any traffic but there was a lot of snow and the visibility was scarce due to fog, so it took me a bit longer than usual to arrive at Rødby, but once there I could drive straight on to the ferry and then it sailed instantly.

In Germany the sun came up in the horizon as I entered the country but it was hardly visible between the mist and the fog, but once you saw it warmed visually and not facially; the outside temperature was at this point -14 degrees.

The sun in the horizon