Back in Munich again

Munich Travel Blog

Wonderful house

I had a planned a very short visit to Munich. I was staying there for two nights and one day before I had to attend a meeting in Copenhagen. I had hoped to get a hotel centrally situated in the centre of München; last time I was here, I had due to a late booking ended at a rehabilitate hotel 75 km from München city centre. That had been some exercise, well not the rehabilitation but the drive through the woods to get there every night.

I must say that this time it was really central, because they had booked a hotel that was next to the Central station; it was a rough neighbourhood but I generally enjoy places like this.

The hotel was quite large even though it didn't seem like that from the outside.

Enjoying the beer
At first sight the hotel looked disappointing but after having been there a couple of days it had grown on me; especially the fact that it was so close to some great parts of the city.

Walking in the city centre for the first time brought me to Cafe Am Marienplatz. The cafe's is situated just in front of the town square and München Rathaus, which is an amazing building. The town hall is an impressive building which is heavily photographed. Sitting in front of it will truly make the world go by. I saw numerous nationalities and a huge variation of people walk by. I had a very good stay there and I guess I will up there again one day.

It was getting a bit colder and I really would like to have something to eat; I saw that I wasn’t the only one; many restaurants were surrounded by people. It took me a while before I realized that they just were smokers who had to get their fresh air outside.

My dinner

I walked some small streets and ended up at a restaurant called Augustiner am Platzl. I can’t remember when I last time had the luck to find an authentic German combination of a brewery and a traditional Bavarian restaurant. The interior was just what I was looking for; rustic, thick wooden tables and some tables even based on old beer barrels.

Inside was telling me that generations after generation of locals and tourist had passed this path, breathing the same smoked ham as was about too. The ceiling was amazing with valve lines going from corner to corner. All the ceiling was painted white with a board of checker red and grey squares and leafs painted in silver in the corners.

I started with a Augustiner Dunkel from this brewery which were founded in 1328. My main dish was asparagus or Sparglen with fresh potatoes and a Wiener schnitzel. The sauce was great; fat and smooth, the stuff that cut at least 5 years of your life; I think I ate 200g of butter during this dish!!

Chokk says:
You should go; Munich just came in as the best city to leave in; Copenhagen on second place! I still wonder why!
Posted on: Jun 27, 2010
nellalaz says:
very nice! I have an Indonesian friend who lives here and been invited me to go visit Europe!
(oh, I'm dying to go there) :)
Posted on: Jun 27, 2010
My rental C4
My rental C4
Calming water fontaine
Calming water fontaine
Looks like a Belgian Belfrey
Looks like a Belgian Belfrey
Shopping on the walking street tow…
Shopping on the walking street to…
Details on the Rathaus
On the wall
On the wall
Munich Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
Augustiner am Platzl
Sometimes you can't believe your luck! I can’t remember when I last time had the luck to find an authentic German combination of a brewery and a … read entire review
Munich General Tips & Advice review
Avis car rental in Munich
Munich airport is huge and finding the car rental office brougt me out on another long walk. Almost at the end of my long endurance the obstacles got … read entire review
Munich Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
Cafe Am Marienplatz - see the world go by
If you like to watch the world go by and you want to see it in the city centre of Munich I can recommend doing it from Cafe Am Marienplatz. The caf… read entire review
Munich Hotels & Accommodations review
Hotel Maritim
I had hoped to get a hotel centrally situated in München; last time I was here, I had due to a late booking ended at a rehabilitate hotel 75 km from … read entire review
Munich