Sea Life Park

Waimanalo Travel Blog

Green Sea Turtles

We ventured down to the Sea Life Park today. This was a great adventure. The park was small but offered a lot of great things. The entrance is a large reef tank. As you walk around the tank, the walkway decends and you are able to see inside the tank. They had everything from tropical fish to sea turtles to sting rays. to reef sharks. Inside the park were seals, sea lions, penguins, a bird sanctuary, dolphins, sea turtles, and the worlds only wolphin. Let me tell you that a wolphin is a site to behold. Very large but very graceful.

We got to see the sea lion show and the dolphin show. The sea lion show was like a beauty pagent and these sea lions captured your heart. They were adorable and could do some pretty amazing things. The dolphin show was primarily to put the dolphins on display.

Sea Lion
They did lots of cool tricks like flips in the air and so forth. Their power was amazing. Both shows were excellent. I took some great video but I can't upload them here.

There was a touch tank there as well. Pretty cool. We got to touch all kinds of marine life that you would find living on a reef. There were different kinds of tropical fish, starfish, a pillow starfish (that I can't remember the exact name) and other strange sea life. A man stood in the tank and answered all hundred of my questions (or so it seemed). I bet he was glad to see my leave.

There are other activities to do such as feed the turtles and feed the sea lions. You can snorkel in a smaller tank with a guide. He gives you an introductory course to all the fish and swims with you to point things out. Wasn't too thrilled to do the snorkle tank because we can snorkle at reefs all around the island for free or fairly cheap. There is also a place to swim with the dolphins.  This was a bit expensive, maybe really expensive, so we were unable to do them. However, I definately want to swim with dolphins before I leave Hawaii.

This park is a must see. It has great animals. You get a view of Rabbit Island and Makapu'u Point. It has a mountain backdrop and the sea breezes keep it very cool. I loved it.

crystalware says:
Yes, very expensive. Now it is around $150 per person. A little bit ridiculous but I am willing to make a sacrifice I guess.
Posted on: May 30, 2007
vances says:
You are right that swimming with the dolphins ain't cheap --- think its around $125 per person (I think I discussed this in my "Hawaii 101" blog which I never finished or added pictures too, lol...oops). But getting to dance with a dolphin and receiving a kiss from a dolphin is wonderful...and will always be our daughter's most cherished memory of Hawaii!
Posted on: May 30, 2007
cygnus16 says:
Another of my favorite haunts from way back when.
Posted on: May 03, 2007
The Sea Lion Beauty Pagent
The Sea Lion Beauty Pagent
Inside the reef tank
Inside the reef tank
A shark lounging at the bottom of …
A shark lounging at the bottom of…
Waimanalo Sights & Attractions review
This is a small park devoted to marine life. It is located on the Windward Side past Hawaii Kai. To get into the park is reasonable priced at around $… read entire review
Waimanalo