Punchbowl

Honolulu Travel Blog

Outside of Downtown is Punchbowl. This is a National Cemetary for those who have fallen in war. We had been told it has some amazing views and folliage so we decided to visit. What we found out is that is acts as a memorial of all actions that take place between the United States and other countries, particulary Asia and the South Pacific. It is a great tribute to fallen soldiers and stirred up some powerful feelings.

The memoral has a timeline built out of glass into murals that detail the attacks on Pearl Harbor and World War II. In front of the memorial are walls built to remember soldiers who parished in the Harbor attack. There are 24 I think and that makes for a lot of names to be inscribed. As we walked up the hill to the lookout we were again taken away by these panoramic views. We could see from Waikiki to Pearl Harbor. This was a fun view because we were familiar enough with the entire area to point out specific places in Honolulu and Wakiki.

Punchbowl does serve as a cemetary so it was sad to look out and see the hundreds and hundreds of gravesites. Some had flowers but the majority of others remained bare as if they had been completely forgotten. I have not had anyone die from serving but I got choked up so I can't image what others must go through that have. It was a remarkable memorial and it really made us appreciate things that we hadn't thought about.

War Mural