Hanauma Bay

Hawaii Kai Travel Blog

Today we decided to spend the morning snorkling at Hanauma Bay. We have famliy visiting for a week and thought this would be a great activity for everyone. Indeed it was. Before going down to into the bay, you have to watch a nine minute movie concerning the conservation efforts at the reef. Everything there is protected and they make great efforts to restore the damaged reef.

Standing at the top looking down was an amazing sight. The cresent shape of the bay opened up to the power of the Pacific. Today was a rough day for the sea creating semi-large waves just oustide of the reef. This caused a zone 2 effect so we could only stay to the inside of the reef. This was a shame because I would have loved to look all around the reef.

Once we made it down the steep hill, we got our gear on and headed in. The bottom was covered in rocks and proved to be difficult walking on in fins. At knee depth, we dove in and entered a whole new world. The reef was like a maze that you have to manouver your way through to find the biggest and brightest fish. There were so many different kinds of tropical fish that we snorkled for hours and never got bored or tired. This was truely an amazing place to visit. I can't wait to go again and take an underwater camera to photograph the fish.

TRE69 says:
I love snorkeling here! The last time I went, we saw a green sea turtle. We tried to follow it but it swam deeper than we could! :D
Posted on: Aug 30, 2007
mattgee says:
I went here a few years ago! It's so fun :) [and we had an underwater camera!]
Posted on: May 30, 2007
cygnus16 says:
Well, I guess this answers my question. :)
Posted on: May 03, 2007
Hanauman Bay
Hanauman Bay
The reef
The reef
Mural in visitors center
Mural in visitors center
Hawaii Kai Sights & Attractions review
A lot of people already know about the famous Hanauma Bay. What they don't know is to enter the bay is $5(US) and it is closed every Tuesday to visito… read entire review
Hawaii Kai