key west part 3, the arrival

Key West Travel Blog

Sunset from Mallory Square

got to the hotel (the radisson), the reception are was pretty nice, you could see the pool from the window.  Checked in and went to my room.  The elevators were all pretty crappy, try to use the stairs if you can.  My room #509 had an awesome view of the Gulf of Mexico and allowed for a few good pictures.  The room was clean and the beds really comfortable (they have sleep number beds throughout the hotel.

Went down to the concierge and made some plans.  Nichole is very knowledgeable, but get all of your plans done at once (know what you want to do)....she gets a bit cranky towards the end of her shift if you keep coming back one idea at a time.

If you drive into Key West, you may want to rent a bike, scooter, or take public transportation.

main entrance @ Seven Fish....no longer used
..parking is quite hard.  Or, walking is a very good option if you are in the Duval Street area.  You will find very few free public parking spots north of Truman, however if you look carefully south of Truman has their fare share of open spaces (be careful not to park in the resedential parking (marked)).

First night, went to Mallory Square...got some great sunset pictures and listened as a local sang to the crowd.  (Walking to dinner, there happened to be a parade enroute to commemorate Key West's (Conch Republic's) independence weekend.)  Then walked to my newest favorite restaurant SEVEN FISH.  I will try to write a review a bit later, but definately if you can afford a meal at $30 - $50 per person, head over to Seven Fish on Olivia at Elizabeth.  Seven Fish is off the beaten path in a residential neighborhood.

After dinner was done, and I did linger a bit....I raced up Duval St to get back to my car before another hour had passed and the parking tab would increase once again.

Back to the hotel to complete my first day/night on the island.

bradk says:
Key West is a blast. I got married down there ten years ago at the Ocean Key Resort at the very end of Duval (right next to Mallory Square). Is Hogs Breath Saloon still there?
Posted on: May 23, 2007
Sunset from Mallory Square
main entrance @ Seven Fish....no l…
main entrance @ Seven Fish....no …
behind the bar @ Seven Fish
parade photo #2
parade photo #3
parade photo #3
Key West Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
This restaurant Seven Fish is awesome. On the menu you will find a dish for every liking. As I walked up, I was offered a glass of wine as I waite… read entire review
Key West