conch republic (key west), day 3

Key West Travel Blog

fury catamaran

today an odd morning, got up late again.  well I did go to bed pretty late the night previous, in fact it was morning....really early.

After getting out of bed and dressed of course, I went to Denny's right downstairs in my hotel.  Who ever heard of a Denny's inside of a hotel, with the exception of in Las Vegas.

I ordered the Grand Slam, a staple for most at a Denny's, the only difference.....the price.  The Grand Slam was $6.99.

After breakfast, it was time to hit the town.  Actually no!!!  It was time for me to wait, get dressed for the ocean and go.  I was going Snorkeling and for the first time.

I went out on the Atlantic Fury ( a mid-sized catamaran).  We cruised out and I enjoyed the views.

a falling star
  It was a little different than the day before, we went out a lot further.  We could not even see land from where we stopped.

I proceded to put on my snorkel gear, provided to me by the Fury Crew with a little instruction as to how to use it.  Then I got in the water.  At first, a tad cold, but warm overall comparing to the Pacific Ocean waters that I am more used to.  Then I began to drown myself.  My fears took over, not being able to swim, I could not keep afloat and a floating device was dropped into the ocean for me.  With the floating device, I was able to keep above water and I did get to see the coral reef, even take a few pictures.

After getting back to the cat, I met a couple of good people.  We had a couple of drinks together.

almost gone to night

Finished with the big ocean swim, and now back on land....I was hungry.  I had to try somewhere that I had never heard of, no one had mentioned any recommendations and I was able to find a restaurant called El Mason de Pepe (Cuban food was the flavor of the night).  The restaurant was busy, but seated me immediately.  I actually was seated besides two men that were on the snorkel trip with me.  I found out that both were serving in the Navy in northern Florida (I think Pensacola).  I ordered something called Vieja Ropa.  It was excellent, could have used a bit more rice for my liking.

The night was coming to an end quickly.  Before it ended, I stopped at a bar nearby called Hog's Breath.  "It's better to have Hog's Breath, than no breath at all." is there motto.  The bar area was quite full almost at capacity and people kept a comin'.  They had live music and even a wedding party was dancing to the music.

I left and went to my hotel.

sun setting
sun setting
orange ball in the sky
orange ball in the sky
sun setting over the atlantic
sun setting over the atlantic
lighthouse before sunset
lighthouse before sunset
lighthouse over the coral reef lit…
lighthouse over the coral reef li…
me on the fury
me on the fury
Key West Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
What can I say about Cuba 92 miles from Cuba. Well placed atmosphere. As I arrived, although busy, I was seated right away. Everyone talking am… read entire review
Key West