Planning

Denver Travel Blog

We've been planning this trip since November 2006.  It's too difficult to get this much time off from work without a lot of advance notice...not to mention the need to save up a bunch of money to afford it.

We made our reservations for the cruise several months ago.  We picked the Saphire Princess part of Princess Cruise Lines because they were the only ones with an asian cruise we could find.  Princess Cruises has a reputation of hosting old people but we'll still have a good time.   Usually I cruise with Carnival, only because my friends and I can be a bit rowdy and they tolerate that better since they're the "Fun Ship".  Only my girlfriend and I are going this trip so I'll be a mellower, or at least try.

The cruise stops at several locations so we had to do a lot of web surfing to ensure we had the proper visas.  Fortunatly we only need 1, from China.  Read the review I wrote about getting it.  I was pretty worried about the whole process, but it wasn't bad at all.  Just extra work.  The other contries either did not require a visa so long as your passport was valid, or the visa was available as you entered the country.  Most of them were for free, but a few will charge us a couple of bucks.

The flight we chose will be long.  We have a short layover in Seattle, and then a several hour layover in Japan.  I know I'll have to take some sleeping pills to make it.

Our current project is finding hotels.  Since we'll be in Bangkok for a few days before the cruise, and Beijing for a few days aftet it we need a place to stay.  We've discussed staying at a hostle, but considering the amount of luggage we have there may not be a place to store all of it.

My girlfriend and I have decided to make these blogs a bit of a competition.  Whoever gets the most smiles and comments wins.  I think we'll figure out what's at stake when it gets closer.  She keeps telling me that since she has a bigger family that she'll win...we'll see about that.

Her blog is at: http://www.travbuddy.com/travel-blogs/8464
Her profile is at: http://www.travbuddy.com/quinnkim
Denver General Tips & Advice review
After some research I found that a visa is generally required when traveling to China. There are exceptions. Hong Kong and Taiwan do not require vis… read entire review
Denver